HybridZ

Stock z ?

Guest Zvirgin

Guest Zvirgin

hello all i benn looking at this board for a couple days and have found some great info but... i still need to ask a ? i just bought my 1st z its a 79 280zx turbo 6cyl 2.8 my ? is is their any moere power to be had from the stock turbo like any way to crank it up? im a serious turbo noob also what kind of hp# and mph did this thing come with ty in advance for any replys and did a lot of these things come with purple paint :lol:

Guest bastaad525

Yeah just get a boost controller and good boost gauge, do-it-yourself boost controller cost you about $15, boost gauge about $60 and installation if you dont install it yourself.

Crank the boost up to 9psi or maybe 10psi if you have good gas (93 octane or better) but keep in mind that at 10psi you will run lean above 5500rpm so try not to rev higher than that. If you aren't real good at watching revs than keep it to 9psi. This will put you at around 180-200hp at the wheels. You really should also get a BOV as soon as possible (used from a 1st generation eclipse, $50-80).

After that you can really go wild with an intercooler and bigger injectors and upgraded turbo and all kinds of goodies to get you over 300hp easily.

Guest Zvirgin

Sounds sweet my uncle owns a junkyard i can hunt at will what is a bov? good gas in my area is 94-118 we can get good race gas here as for the lean problem above 5500 would injectors cure that? ty again for your replys

Be careful in your Octane rating comparisons. The US octane ratings are an average of the research and measured R+M/2=93. We used to go off Research octane only and that is how the old leaded fuels were able to attain 100+ octane ratings easily.