HybridZ

J.C. Whitney no more Cowl induction hoods.

• 1 month later...

I recieved my 2" cowl hood from the people who used to supply JC Whitney. The invoice is from Kuston Creations but these are the same people, I worked with Larry T: 267-221-6648 and it was an easy process. $375 hood, $29 packing (very well done) and $94.02 shipping to terminal NE of Atlanta. The finish is the best out of all the fiberglass parts I have purchased.

I have a question for anyone using a figerglass hood. The stock hood springs seem to be way to strong for the way the hood hinge brackets are secured to the hood (3 pop rivits). The hood is about 1/2 the weight (or less) of the stock hood so I was going to remove the springs and work out some kind of hood prop to hold it up once opened. The stock hood prop seems to short to support the lenght of the hood with no springs. What have you guys done?

Thanks

Rusty

Rusty,

I have not finished my hood install but I have bolted it on and made sure it was going to fit.

I agree the spring is to strong and would have ripped the support out of the hood.

I have removed the springs and left the hinges.

I will later find were I want to support the hood with a arm than go buy one from a junk yard..

• 9 months later...

our cowl hood is from Showcars Unlimited in Canada at this address:

http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/240z.html

we ditched the stock hood springs and the hood stays open just fine using the stock rod that flips up (the hood already had the boss for the rod). uses the stock hinges and latch also. they label ours as a 2" cowl, but its more like 4". cost was $400 plus another $100 for shipping i think. we got it used for $375 and then we did about a days worth of sanding on it and shot the color. keeps the underhood temps way cooler.

P4160003a.jpg

PC210005.JPG

PC210007.JPG

PC180068.JPG