HybridZ

Project Silver Bullet - 240Z LS1 Swap Udate #1

As many of you are aware, I am installing an LS1 motor into my 240Z using the JCI LS1 Z car swap components. I have named my project "Silver Bullet". This is the first update. I will try to document as much as possible for others that may want to do this swap too. I have been posting pictures of the swap so far at:

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=3083&ppuser=4628

I started the actual swap on May 1st. My son and I took the car for a final drive, came home and let it cool off and then began. The L28 motor, trans, exhaust, radiator, etc. were removed that day by following the removal instructions in the Datsun service manual. The motor actually sat in the engine bay until the following week until I could go and rent a hoist to remove it. May 6th rented a hoist and out it came. I built a crate and shipped off the old Drivetrain to it's new owner.

May 10th I decided to go with the JCI LS1 components and ordered them from John.

Today, May 19th I received the mounts from JCI.

(see my earlier post if you want info on the quality of the parts provided by JCI)

http://hybridz.org/nuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=34089&sid=21779e4e9798667fe39d6c8e85aa4e2a

This evening I started the install. I got the motor mounts in the car and properly bolted in. Everything was very straight forward and fit very nicely. The only problem I ran into was trying to attach the drivers side motor mount to the T/C housing. This requires you to drill 2 holes in the T/C housing to bolt the back side of the mount to it. I had to remove the T/C rod to get the bolts to sit flush. With the rod out of the way, a little gentle persuasion with a hammer and everthing fell into place.

I need to find the new steering coupler and steering rack bushings I bought and install them.

I have decided to get the motor and trans bolted in and make sure everything fits properly then I will pull it all out and paint the engine compartment.

Well it is now midnight here so I will end this for now. I wil be updating this as I go so stay tuned.

Looking foward to following your install. :D I also went with John's kit. You will probably finish the install way ahead of me though. I've pulled my motor and detailed the engine compartment. Now, I'm busy rebuiding the front end. Wilwood brakes, ZX master, suspension, ball joints, tie rod ends, Poly bushings etc. Then I'll start the rear. R200 LSD, disc brakes etc. Then I still need to sort through the late 260Z wiring mess. :( I'm trying to get as much done as possible before dropping in the motor while I've still got some room. 8)