HybridZ

The new Project

Tim240z

Had it towed over this morning. Looks pretty bad, but the body is actually in very straight condition. Everything is there.

It came with the original owners manual, factory service manual, original dealer brochure, factory issue color chip chart and paint mix recipes, and a bunch of other docs.....

f894bae0.jpg

f894bade.jpg

Inline 6 not sure on displacement

He wanted $4k, but he took $3k. I had it towed this morning the 3 blocks to my house.

Someone already want to buy it from me for $5k, but I am falling in love with the hulk...

I plan:

Jag rear

Mustang II front IRS

SBC and 200 4R (both already been sitting in the garage for years waiting for a new home)

Cosmetically...back to stock, except for the front bench will go in favor of comfy seats (Yukon, or escalade), AC system and stereo. This will be the family cruiser....

Tim

Guest ON3GO
but I am falling in love with the hulk...

Tim

sorry tim there can only be one Hulk on the forum.. :D

but very cool, what color you painting it? gotta tell me cuz i guessed what color the Z was being painted!

Mike

Very cool man! A friend of mine is fixing up/roding a similar car. You'll have to excuse my ignorance, as I don't have a clue what make that is, but it looks a LOT like my friend's, except his is a 2 door. He put a 10 bolt rear end, as well as front spindles/brakes (camaro) in it, and a mild 350 for now. (one of those 'had it lying around..' things.) Personaly, I think the flat black paint job on older cars like these... but hey, whatever you do, keep the pics coming! Good luck. :)

It's a 1940 Chevrolet Special Deluxe Sedan. From the brochure that came with it, it appears to be the 'Full option' version of the time period.

Not sure on color yet. Keeping in mind the intended use of the car, I'm thinking two tone Silver (kinda like the old Rolls Royces), or 2 tone White and grey....

Datsun Lover, Let me know if you can find me some details on your buddy's front suspension conversion....I'm kinda flying blind on this one!!

Tim

So what's the little lady think about the new project? Is she as excited as you are?

Guy :D

I think that she's just happy that I unloaded the Bike (ZX-7)...she's really good about my little 'impulsiveness'....

Tim

Well I'll see what I can do for ya Tim. Im finishing school this week (3 hour drive north.. ugh...) so Im gone till friday afternoon but when I get back, I'll try to get out to my friends parents place. I saw the car driving around last weekend, so if I have to, I'll just hunt the guy down at the local car show/cruise night we have here on Sunday nights. I'm sure he'll be there. I'm working on a deal to get a digi. camera to, so I'll try to get some pics for ya if I can.

A buddy of mine had a 56 ford pickup (Ute, for you Australian guys :D ) that he converted to camaro front suspension by swapping the entire front clip. The camaro he used was a mid 70's era car, and the suspension components were all quite "beefy". There are also quite a few companies that make drop in cross members to convert older cars like that to Mustang II front suspension. The same friend was also converting the rear suspension of his truck with a Jag IRS setup. Very cool design with dual coilovers, built to withstand quite a bit of abuse. My only concern with the Jag setup is that it uses the halfshafts as the upper arm in the suspension, so they are not only under torque, but have quite a bit of side loading as well. It seems to work for them though, as I've never heard of one failing. The Jag front suspension can be removed completely intact on it's own crossmember as well, much like the rear suspension. Using the jag stuff front and rear would take care of any brake bias issues that might otherwise show up if using a mix of components from various manufacturers. Another possibility would be a late model T-bird or lincoln Mk8. They use the same IRS setup as the SVT Cobra's with an 8.8" rear end (lots of gears available) The only difference is that the Lincoln has aluminum suspension arms and differential case (that would be really cool polished up under there :2thumbs: ) Anyway, let me know if you need help finding Jag or Ford/Lincoln suspension parts, as the junkyards down here are full of them.

Mike

Guest Chris240turbo

Tim, you need to get in touch with RB's obsolete, I'm helping a buddy rebuild his dad's '50 chevy truck, and he went with a full RB's front end, independent, tubular control arms, and 11.5" disk brakes, the whole front crossmember simply bolts in, after you grind off about 50 old rivets! uses a TRW power rack, and coil over front shocks, VERY nice stuff, we're using a '93 S-blazer rear axle with discs also using an RB's mount kit.

Couldn't get much easier than this set-up, although it wasn't cheap, but I believe priced pretty fairly for what you get, I think the front set up was about $1900, shipped, I can go take some pictures of it, if you'd like, I did see the same type set up for a '40 chevy in the catalogue too...

Thanks Chris!! Do you have a url for them? If not I can do a web search.

I was thinking about an aftermarket IFS vs. JY Mustang II unit. I figure by the time I've rebuilt the front end from the JY (new bearings, rebuild rack, bushings, brakes etc), I will into as much as an aftermarket kit, so....

I want IRS, so I think the Jag cage is the way to go. I want to keep the car original (at least cosmetically) with a nice reliable drivetrain with some power, so I think I will rebuild my SBC (mild build, low compression, high torque) and 200 4R. With the available Jag ratios, it should cruise nicely with good gas mileage.....

Tim

Thanks Mike...

I've heard some unflattering comments on the front end products from Fatmans....many of the rodders are saying that his geometry and quality of fit and finish is inferior.....more interested in the bottom line than providing an outstanding product...

Tim

Guest Z-fried

Check out Heidt's. http://www.heidts.com/ They've been in the Mustang II business for years. I think anyway you go with the Mustang II package is going to be pricey.

I have been building a '48 Chevy 2 door coupe for several years and just didn't want to put all them money into that. Instead, I bought a '79 Z28 Camaro front clip for $125 and grafted it on to the '48 frame. Put the frame on jackstands and bolted the frame to the concrete floor. Then I measured the wheelbase and cut the '48 frame at the firewall. Cut the Z28 frame to match the wheelbase and then made sure it was level and plumb with the rest of the frame. Butt welded the two together and then boxed it in 9 inches on each side with 1/8" plate. The Z28 has the same width as the '48 and should be the same as your '40. The Z28 gives the car a great rake plus I have disc brakes, power steering, and full suspension travel.

Also went with a '76 Nova 10 bolt rearend out of a junkyard. I also bought a kit but it came with leaf springs, sway bar and everything to mount the rearend. Easy bolt on.

Scott

Guest Aaron

I saw one of those saturday night in a metalic blue with flames that looked sweet! At the cruise in I was at there were several cars from the same era in various metalics. The metalics really bring out the curves of those old bodies.