HybridZ

can a different year Dash be mounted?

Guest plainswolf

Guest plainswolf

Is it possible to fit a 240Z dash into a later model 1st. gen Z? I know the wiring harness in the older dash wouldn't mate up but if one installed the newer gauges in the older dash..etc... and if so, would a 240 dash mate right up to lets say, a late 260 center console or would one have to modify a 240 console to fit a newer z?

All the dashes from 70-78 will interchange. As you pointed out the wiring harnesses are completely different and you must use the same year console as the dash.

PS also you will need all the a/c. I currently have my 280Z dash in my early model 260Z.

The 240Z dash will NOT interchange with the 260 - 280 dash. The steering column is mounted in a different location and the whole center section is different especially where it meets up with the HVAC system.

I had to use a 260 type dash metal skeleton (the stuff under the vinyl and padding) to get my GTO type dash in my 1971 240 Z.

236622_3_full.jpg

I had to make a lot of modifications to the skeleton to get it to fit including moving the steering column. If you are good at sheet metal fabrication and welding you might, just might be able to get it to fit. Of course you would have to put a new cover on it after you were done.

i can speak from experience... sort of. my 72 240 has a 77 280 dash in it... so i know for sure it can be done. i wasn't the one to do it though... so i won't be the one to tell you how! only glitch is that there's no holes to bolt the front part of the console to... so mine sits about an inch and a half too low. i'll have to improvise something after a couple bigger fish get fried. :twisted:

Datsun Lover,

As for the easy of removing the dash, I removed mine from my 78 and it was simple.

No problem finding the screws. You must first remove the steering wheel, and I did have my windshild out so I don't know how hard it would have been to get the screws out where the glass and dash meet. But Im guessing it would still have been simple.

As for the wiring I had to unplug a couple things like the light in the ash tray. But the rest of the wiring unpluged in big square connectors.

Good Luck :wink:

Now Im not too sure about how the older Z dashes are but if they are like the 280ZX's then the pad on top of metal frame is the part that you can buy. I bought a new "dash" for mine and thats the only part that I got. So if the pad is the same from year to year in the Z's then you could just unscrew the pad and screw it on to your dash!

Guy