HybridZ

Project Silver Bullet - 240Z LS1 Swap Udate #2

Time for an update on the project. This week was busy at work so not much was done on the Z car. But here it goes.

I passed the POINT OF NO RETURN! Today I removed the factory 240Z Transmission mounts that are welded to the tunnel. I used an angle grinder with a cut off wheel on it to remove them. I guess there is no going back now.

I pulled the factory 240Z tach, boxed it up and sent it to John for calibration. I also sent him a 280Z tach in case the 240Z unit wouldn't work with the LS1. The JTR manual says it won't work and you must install the guts from a 280Z into the 240Z housing but John seems to think it should work fine. I gues we will know soon.

I had a hell of a time trying to remove the tach as the previous owner installed a dash cap and it wouldn't allow the tach to come out. I ended up removing the dash cap (yes I destroyed it but the car came with an extra one brand new in the package when I bought it) I will install the new one once I finish all the other stuff.

I also stripped down the LS1 and removed the stuff that I will not need. The A/C compressor, the power steering pump, the stock exhaust manifolds, the existing motor mounts, etc. Most of these items are currently on eBay (shameless plug) so if you want them check it out.

I hope to test fit the motor this coming week.

Check out the updated pics at:

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=3083&ppuser=4628

That's all for now.

Have a great weekend!

Keep it rolling David. Interesting that we have two "silver" projects underway right now - Your "Silver Bullet" and Savage42's "Quicksilver".

I didn't want to steal anything away from Gary as he had named his project first but the guy that bought my L28 setup said in an email to me:

" that car will be as fast as a silver bullet when you get it on the road"

and I kind of liked the sound of that so I decided to give it a title.

My engine leveler is due in today. Test fit the LS1 tomorrow.

FWIW - "Quicksilver" is a common name for the element Mercury. Mercury was the mythological messenger of the gods so obviously pretty fast. Should be interesting - 240 with an LS1 vs 280 with an LS6.

That's pretty interesting. Amazing what you can learn from this list.

I am fairly certain that Gary's car will be Faster than mine. Our goals for our projects are different. My goal is to build a weekend cruiser - once in a while autocross/track day car. Reliable, comfortable, and quiet. I plan to keep the LS1 motor stock. (at least for now) I don't need a super fast 10 second car. I will be happy (I hope) with a mid 12 second car that will idle ripple free and be quiet enough to be a sleeper on the street. Not too many 12 second street cars around here.

I know the HP fever may creep up on me as I get used to the power so things may change.

But change is good.

I've often referred to my car as "being a silver bullet", but since the car is going to be painted in '01-03 Corvette silver which GM adequately call "Quicksilver", so I figured I'd go with that. Must beat Z06s & Vipers on the road course. :-D

• 5 years later...