HybridZ

Don't you girls go getting all crazy on me now!

Mikelly

I actually worked on the Z this evening... finished drilling the holes for the bolts on the fuel cell, as well as riveting the filler sheetmetal into place. I then broke out the light filler and filled in the areas I'd needed to smooth out in the engine bay where I had removed the radiator core support. The filler is curing as we speak.

TOmorrow I'll go ahead and put filler in the trunk around the patch panels to smooth the transition seams from the patch panels to the hatch floor.

Once all that is done, I'm actually gonna break out the paint gun and mix up some underbody and engine bay paint. Gonna do it all in a nice light grey instead of the silver-metallic I started with... no rattle cans this time...

Mike :D

Mike,

You said you cut away the rad support? Top and Bottom, or just the top? Without that support the only thing connecting the two side of the unibody is the crossmember and maybe a struttower brace if you are using one right? Oh yea and the sway bar. Now that I think about it that is probably plenty of support.

Good point but its not like it is completley free either. It is clamped to the frame rails and provides at least some support. I know it will slide but when installed correctly should not move side to side much.

Actually, I think it does pretty much the opposite of support - by definition it supplies a twisting moment to the unibody - that's it's job.

Support? We don't need no stinking supports... That's what the cross member is for, right? :D

I welded some 2 inch boxed tubing across the bottom of the front, joining the two sides. I also plan a tublar support running from the strut towers to the rails, and joined, again at the front. It will all be tied in, not to worry!

Mike 8)

Mike,

I've seen a car with heim joints and round threaded tubing. Like a strut bar, more like those strut tower-to-firewall braces you were selling. It used the same kind of U-shaped brackets too.

This car had it mounted up at the headlight buckets. Probably using the bolt holes for the hood hinges.

Owen