HybridZ

Kuhmo V70A's?

Nearly time to replace the Dunlop DO1J R tyres and the Kumho's are available at a good price. The car does high speed race circuit work, 5-7 laps per session. No wet weather or road use, the tyres are changed at the circuit. It gets very hot here in summer so the medium K8A compound would seem best all round.

So if anyone has used V70A's your comments would be appreciated. As well as the Dunlops, Toyo, Hoosier and Yokohama's are available but only more Dunlops or perhaps the Hoosiers would be considered. The Toyo's are good but not quite right for my application.

I'm a bit confused. Did some roaming on their website and the only competition tires I saw were the V700 ECSTA, Victoracer, and the V710's. Surprisingly the V710's were recently discontinued. That's kind of a blow, the ECSTA's were already lagging behind the Hoosiers.

Tires are probably identified differently "down under" than here.

Richard- are you talking about a super soft racing tire - lots of grip but wear out in less than 10,000 km or a high performance tire that's probably good for 45-50,000 km? If it's the former you're probably talking about the Kumho Victoracer V700 up here. Otherwise you may be referencing oour Kumho Ecsta 711 or 712. The V700 would have a tread depth of 6-8/32" while the others would be around 12/32" deep.

I have the Ecsta 712's - about $180 AU each. I find that they work well for daily driving and did pretty well on a track day out at Texas Motor Speedway.

I like the V700 Victoracers, especially for the money. Did an event Monday with them and they performed quite well (3 - 20 minute sessions). I also have a set of unshaven Toyo Ra-1s on my turbo Z, which are also excellent. I've been running them on the street, and they are actually quite good in the wet. I ran them for a lap and 1/2 at NHIS on Monday, and they performed well until I lost a brake line. No damage done though.

Pete

That appears to be an Ecsta V700.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+V700

I'm currently running a set of the Ecsta V700's on my Trans Am for track days. I've done seven 20 minute sessions on them so far and was very pleased with them. Lots of grip and they didn't seem to wear excessively. They need to be shaved to 4/32" tread depth if you are going to run them on a dry road course. That's a little over 3mm if I did the math right.

Guest 81na ZX
I'm a bit confused. Did some roaming on their website and the only competition tires I saw were the V700 ECSTA, Victoracer, and the V710's. Surprisingly the V710's were recently discontinued. That's kind of a blow, the ECSTA's were already lagging behind the Hoosiers.

Just a clarification: The V710s weren't discontinued, but the entire batch recalled :? For redesign.

From Kumho:

KUMHO Tire's priority is safety, and we are committed to supplying our customers with the highest quality and best performing tires that are available anywhere in the world. It is with this philosophy in mind that KUMHO is taking immediate action in discontinuing the sale of the ECSTA V710 Competition Tire.

The V710 has won several races and set numerous track records since it was introduced into the market on January 1, 2004. Although we have not experienced any air loss failures with the ECSTA V710 Competition Tire, we have discovered some inconsistent test results relating to tread splice and tread area durability.

The sale of the ECSTA V710 Competition Tire will, therefore, be discontinued immediately, and tires in use in the market will be collected from consumers. KUMHO will replace them with either the KUMHO ECSTA V700 or Victoracer tire free of charge.

An investigation into the cause of the inconsistencies has been carried out and modifications to the product and production methods have been made to ensure these inconsistencies do not re-occur.

Consumers who have purchased the ECSTA V710 Competition Tire must call the dealer where the tires were purchased or the following toll free number to arrange for tire return and replacement :

1-800-445-8646 Extension 342

Consumers will be given the choice of a free replacement of the ECSTA V710 with either the ECSTA V700 or Victoracer. They will also be provided a free set of the modified ECSTA V710 upon its arrival.

KUMHO is sincerely committed to the quality of our products and the total satisfaction of our customers. We regret any inconvenience to our customers