HybridZ

Project Silver Bullet - 240Z LS1 Swap Udate #4 ls1 IS IN!

I took off from work early today and my son and I decided to try a test fit of the motor. Got it all hooked up to the engine leveler, hoisted it up and dropped it in place. It's in there. It fits very nicely. The JCI kit is great. Sure makes it easy. It sits low and far enough back and allows clearance for heater hoses, stock alternator location and maybe even modified factory exhaust manifolds. I Will see about that tomorrow. I did run into a few small hangups along the way. I have noted about them below. Other then that it is not hard.

The hard work is still ahead of me. Next I will get the tranny mount in place.

Might be this weekend before I can do anymore work on it.

I will keep you all updated.

I have posted some pics at:

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=3083&ppuser=4628

You will not be able to view the new pics until they get approved by the administrator.

Thanks for everyones help so far. You guys on this list made it all possible.

Notes about the LS1 JCI install:

1. If you are going to do this swap, do not use the far back exhaust studs to hook your chains to. I remembered Joeys advice on this too late. The chains will interfere with the firewall and the hood latch mechanism. I had to pull it back out and relocate the chains to the next studs forward. I also had to remove the coil packs so they would not get damaged.

2. My hoist would not slide under the front suspension without jacking it up a bit, I placed a bottle jack under the front crossmember so they would clear.

3. You really don't want to do this without an engine leveler. Those things are worth the cost. I don't know if you can do it without one.

4. You will need to be able to jack up the trans. while the engine is being lowered and it will need to be able to slide back once it is jacked up a bit to allow the motor to move back more. I used my floor jack with wheels and it worked fine.

Right on Qwik240!!! I went through the same proccess to get my set up in. Doesn't it look nice!! I will do a post this evening on JOEY'S PIX for an update on me and get MAS in the next couple days to add pictures!!

HAVE A GREAT DAY :2thumbs:

JOEY

It's amazing how much room there appears to be at this stage - especially when using the JCI mounts which locate the engine well. When the radiator, fans & shroud, auxilliary equipment, and headers go in it all gets a lot tighter.

Keep them rolling! :2thumbs: