HybridZ

Maichor's LS1 Velo Rossa Progress (edit: link for pics)

Well, since everyone seems to be posting their swap progress and I enjoy reading them, I thought I would include one on my LS1 conversion.

My wife and son just took a week long trip to Utah to visit her sister. It was hard being a bachelor again, but I did make some progress on the car. I work Mon-Fri until 6pm and Sat. until noon. Then it is time to work on honey do's and hang with the fam. I usually get about 1hr/wk on the car but I spent all of Memorial day on it since I was alone. 14 hours straight, no food, just water. So, here is where I stand now. I replaced the diff with an R230 from a 300ZX twin turbo. (remember I am running 240SX rear suspension and cv shafts.) I made aluminum radiator mounts and mounted the stock LS1 fans. So, here is a list.

Velo Rossa Kit from John Washington

2001 LS1 and T56 six speed

300ZX twin turbo viscous limited slip with 3.7:1 gears

Custom Moser axles

240SX rear suspension complete with 5 lugs and e-brake with Energy Poly bushings

300ZXtt aluminum calipers, Brembo rotors, All stainless lines, Motul fluid and Porterfield pads

New bearings, ARP studs,

Front suspension is a Carrera coil over setup with stock spindles and Z31 five lug hubs and Toyoat 4X4 four piston calipers and Brembo rotors

Tires are Michellin XGT's from a viper. 335/35/17's on 10.5" Mustang Cobra R wheels, and 275/45/17's on 9" wheels in front

Tan leather seats are from a 2002 Miata. Gauges are stock 2001 Camaro as is the fuel tank and computer controlled cooling fans.

Power effects exhaust.

Pro 5.0 shifter, Granatelli MAF, Street and Performance headers, alternator and pulleys, except ASP underdrive pulley.

Howe aluminum radiator.

Ford Thunderbird PS

I haven't installed these items yet:

LED tail lights and signals, H4 headlights

Dual custom roll hoops 3.5" diameter

Flip top Le Mans gas cap

Blah, blah, blah.

All I need to test drive is a custom driveshaft.

I know it sounds like a lot, but I am entering my 4th year on the project. Left to go is wiring for lights, radio etc. and the rest of the body and interior work. But, I am too anxious to have it done, so I will probably farm out the body work and paint if I can afford it.

Any donations? How 'bout someone sign me up for that Overhaulin' show. I wouldn't mind if Chip Foose messed with my car. :D

My album is full, so I posted some here:

http://photos.yahoo.com/maichor75104

Look under "newest photos" for a recent engine bay shot. There are also some pics of my messy welding on the diff mount change from R200 to R230.

I should have some more and better pics of the completed rear suspension after this weekend. Brakes etc. go on the rear for final time now that the diff is in. :wink:

Can you give us some detail on the Camaro instrument cluster? I've got the pieces together to tackle the same install, and I'd feel better about cutting up my dashboard if I could see that someone else has been successful... Thanks!

Guest charlez13

Nice work!

My dad and I are starting our VR soon, the 280z we just bought arrived this morning! :D The LT-1 is ready to be pulled out of the camaro and we will be rebuilding/modding the LT-1 and preparing the 280z all at once...then the VR kit. I see you are in Texas also, I would love to see your car when you get it done!

Guest charlez13
Thanks. We used to live South of Dallas in Cedar Hill. We will probably move back to the North end of Dallas in a year or so. If we do, the car will come with us and hopefully it will be done.

Dude, no way, I grew up in Cedar Hill and lived there till up until 2 or 3 years ago. We'll have to meet up sometime when you're in the area so i can check out the car! We'll probably be pm'ing you with some questions when we start on this project.

Guest plainswolf

Maichor in one of your pics, the one of the seats installed, it looks like you gave your center section a 'backbone' reinforcement?

Yes, the shifter is just tall enought to clear it and it makes a nice arm rest, or will once the upholstry is done. I have subframe connectors, the braces above the tunnel you referred to and 1X2's welded into the inside rockers just below the doors. Without a roof, you need some extra strength longitudinally. It is a lot of extra metal, but remember, I don't have a roof or rear hatch and I have a fiberglass hood. Weight wise I think it is a wash. The tunnel braces also attatch up to the firewall and up to ther rear strut tower brace. All in all it is working out well.

• 1 month later...

Mmmmmmmmm..... Can you feel it? I sent the driveshaft off on Saturday to get it shortened/fitted withe 300ZXTT flange. When it shows up. Test drive! I still have open headers, but I will get that fixed when I can drive to the muffler shop.

Man I'm close now. After that, its body and paint!