HybridZ

Viton Valve Stem Seals?

A word of warning, though it's a bit indecisive. I've used those valve seals that speeder lists on a car with a fresh rebuild, and it seems to still have some top end oil issues, as it's smoking on startup still. This was after a complete head rework including new guides, so I suspect the problem is the valve seals at this point.

It's fairly speculative, but a word of warning.

I'm interested to hear your results as well Speeder. All indications were that these seals would work. I based that on how they measured up in my hand rather than 'only' your word, as I've recieved some bad advice before on the internet.

In this case it's more that I can't imagine what else it could be causing this smoke than any real feeling that the part is not working correctly.

My new engine has about 300 miles on it, and smokes a lot still. I'm hoping it's just rings breaking in, as I've had Total Seal rings like these before (steel gapless tops, standard seconds) that took a long time to wear in.

4 out of the 6 plugs are rather oily, and the smoke can be seen when you rev the engine, then let off and pull manifold vacuum.

It's not coming from the turbo compressor seals....

Any diagnostic experts here that can suggest how to identify oil sources?

I'll continue to put miles on the engine and report back in.

We will get more data on these seals as I have a friend nearby that just did two z heads with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, still no definitive word on whether my oil consumption is seals or rings... My car never smokes on startup, but does have rather oily intake valve tops (I had to pull my intake to work another problem, and took a look)- Not gross amounts of oil, but enough to keep suspicions alive.

One weird symptom - It seems to smoke worse when the engine is really hot (not overheated) , like after it's been running for a while on a hot day with A/C on.

I did do a compression test, and the results, 150psi +, - 5psi seem to exhonerate the rings.

When the car gets back together I'll continue to put miles on it and see if the smoking/oil consumption decreases. If no improvement is seen after a few hundred more miles, I will swap in the Nissan "A" series seals (PITA)and report back.

The plugs are starting to look better, I think - so maybe time will tell.

I will make another post in the troubleshooting section and see if there are any diagnostic experts who can help.

hi,

I have been following this thread closely because I also have an oil consumption problem.

When I am driving on the highway and I release the throttle it start blowing blueish smoke. So I though valvestem seals. I replaced the seals with the above mentioned ford seals and it made no difference whatsoever. So I am back to square one.

My engine is a N42 block with a P90 head. The turbo is not on there yet because I wanted to get rid of this oil consumption first.

I also noticed that my L26 dipstick is shorter than my L28 dipstick. Could it be that I overfilled the engine and it smokes because of that.

I have also check my compression and all 6 cylinders are close to 145 PSI. This seems like a good value. So I guess my next step is to do a wet compression test?

oil consuption sux. :x

I dunno, the 3.1L we just did with these seals has 7.1 miles on it so far and doesn't seem to be smoking at all... Stay tuned. :wink:

On a side note, my own rebuild with ~7000miles on it started with some top end smoking symptoms corresponding with what you would expect for poor valve seals... though this is with nissan valve seals. :roll:

Rick - To go a little off-topic here - I saw that you are running Ferrea stainless valves in your new engine. Are they the correct length for the P-90 head, and use standard locks and retainers? Are they a recent production piece for Ferrea? Did you go oversize on your intakes or exhaust? I am reworking a P-90 right now with a more aggressive ISKY cam and have been looking around for Stainless valves. Rebello Racing said that there were no high quality valves available for the P-90 except for custom pieces - but that was a couple months ago.

This is great news for me.. Any pricing info?

Doug

Doug,

The Ferrea catalog lists stainless valves in the P90 Length - but they don't usually stock them. Mine had to be made to order, and I waited about 3 weeks for them.

They were about 25.00 apiece.

180 miles on the 3.1L, no smoke. Car runs awesome and has broken the tranny and diff mount so far with the rev limiter set to 5000rpm for break in. :shock: It isn't being abused either... (no speed shifts, no burnouts, no brakestands, no nothing)

I think that sways me to saying these valve seals work, and other smoking problems are purely coincidental.

• 3 weeks later...

My engine smoking problems have been pretty conclusively isolated to ring- related issues.

I have had to pull the engine and have the cylinders re- honed with the proper tooling for my Total Seal Rings :(

We still have this and two other engines (also not installed yet) equipped with the Ford seals, and I will report as soon as data is available.

All indications are that the Ford seals are good - It's unfortunate that my machine shop mishap has clouded the testing...