HybridZ

Racetrack worthy Tow hook - best location?

Not sure if this is the best place to put this question, but I had to have my car towed this evening. First time I've driven it in almost a month and a big-ass, sharp rock hit my oilpan and either cracked it or punctured it. Lost all oil. Very sucky.

Anyway, the stock tow hooks are behind the airdam. The tow-guy used them anyway - I tried to convince him to use the bumper - no go. I have a flexible dam, so it bends, and I guess it's basically okay. However, would like a better solution. I've noted on many "racecars", there is a prominant, easily accessible tow hook or ring that is presumably used to pull the car out of the weeds after a spin or whatever.

I do plan to put the car on a track at some point. And since I am a total novice, I will likely need to have my car extracted many times.

There are plenty of good attachment points on the back of the car - but I have difficulties finding a good location on the front. I don't really care if it looks retarded - my car looks like crap anyway. I'm aiming for functionality. I doubt the area on the inner (hood) side of the headlight bucket is a good spot - unless it was re-enforced. I could try and make something rather long and large that attaches to the front bumper mount.

Anyone have any better ideas? Any pics? I gotta thing Mr. Coffey has a ring or a big hook on the front of his car, but I can't find a pic. I know there must be 100s of 240Z racecars - I just can't seem to find any pictures....

I'm contemplating the same thing on the track I've been working on. The hooks are off to each side, and behind the flexible air dam also.

I was thinking of reinforcing the bracket where the bottom of the grille attaches, in the center. This way you can hook it right through the grille, just above the air dam. Would require some fabrication and welding though.

Pete

I have often thought about adding some removable tow bar mounts on my Z. Figure I could fabricate some square tubing to attach to the engine rails and extend through the radiator opening to the front. The tow bar would then be the next size smaller square tubing held in place with pins (like a Reese hitch). Could then insert some plastic end caps for normal driving. Have seen similar set ups behind RV's where the car mount is two metal tabs.

This kind of thing scares me because I would sure hate to use a trial and error method to learn my tow bar needed tubing one size stronger.

Search a few RV web sites and see what commercial stuff is available for towing a car behind an RV.

What's on my car:

Front tow hook attached to the driver's side front bumper bracket. You can also use the factory front tow hook moutning holes.

Rear tow hook uses the rear bumper mounting points.

No close up photo, for the location look hard here on the bottom left of the car, the red bit above the triangular 'tow' sticker :)

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=9244&password=&sort=7&thecat=500

Basically I used an eye bolt from a hardware and welded that to a bracket bolted to the body where described.