HybridZ

280zx to 280zxT conversion

Guest BigE

Guest BigE

Has anyone ever done an NA to Turbo ZX swap? I've heard tons about the swap into previous generations, but never zx to zxT. Is it just plug n play? I have an 82 NA 280zx 5 spd hardtop. Can I simply installed the turbo motor, EFI harness and computer and be running? No wire splicing, etc.?

Thanks all,

E

I've done it, most everything is plug and play. but you need a zx rack and pinion because steering box is in the way of the turbo. If you are smart and want to use the turbo alternator then you might want to switch all the harnesses. between years sometimes pins outs change. I was luck I'm running turbo harness my drivers compartment, and a 81 GL in the engine and a 81 turbo harness converted for 84 ecu for the engine. Just remember that your clutch you have most likey won't hold the power of the turbo.

if I think of anything else I'll let you know

tbs

Guest BigE

Thanks for the info, TBS! When you say switch all the harnesses to use the turbo alternator, do you just mean to handle the increased current load or is there some other reason? I would think the stock wiring would hold up to more current than that considering people are swapping in the 90A GM alt. Anyway, just curious.

I don't know what kind of current the turbo alt puts out, but my stock 65A just isn't gonna cut it. I plan on swapping to something with at least 100A at idle.

well turbo alternators use a different plugs, but best thing to do is the Maxima swap. Also you'll need the rack and pinion front crossmember for mounting the rack. If you still want to enjoy cruse and heat under boost you'll have to change over vacume canisters and install a vacume pump.

tbs

Guest znow white

no i think its the same plugs me and my bro 2 months ago replaced his NA 81 with my 82 turbo donor works fine same plugs ...

BigE, you can also (if a turbo wiring harness and ECU are unavailable) get a turbo manifold, turbo, and bolt the turbo components onto your NA block. Advantage = higher compression of the NA block. This is how it worked out for me, because I had a complete turbo engine and did not get the wiring/ECU with it. Now I have the turbo engine in my car and still using the NA ECU. If you can get the turbo ECU and harness, I recommend it though, because you will get the knock sensor and it won't be running rich at idle. My turbo NA engine ran great, but unfortunately a fuel injector went bad and ended up melting a piston on it (reason for now using the turbo engine). But don't let that discourage you. Regardless, check out your injectors and make sure you have good connections on your wiring harness and injector connectors. Hope this helps out!

BigE, you can also (if a turbo wiring harness and ECU are unavailable) get a turbo manifold, turbo, and bolt the turbo components onto your NA block. Advantage = higher compression of the NA block. This is how it worked out for me, because I had a complete turbo engine and did not get the wiring/ECU with it. Now I have the turbo engine in my car and still using the NA ECU. If you can get the turbo ECU and harness, I recommend it though, because you will get the knock sensor and it won't be running rich at idle. My turbo NA engine ran great, but unfortunately a fuel injector went bad and ended up melting a piston on it (reason for now using the turbo engine)

Um on a turbo engine you would ideally want lower compression so that you can turn up the boost. Your car should have been running lean if anything due to there being way more air than the ECU was programmed for. Maybe thats why you melted a piston?

Guy

Um on a turbo engine you would ideally want lower compression so that you can turn up the boost. Your car should have been running lean if anything due to there being way more air than the ECU was programmed for. Maybe thats why you melted a piston?

I forgot to mention I had Turbo injectors, a Walboro pump, and adjustable fuel pressure riser. But that would be a logical outcome had I not done any mods to the fuel system. Any engine can be turbocharged, given you compensate the fuel sytem for the increase in power. By today's standards, the 280ZX Turbo has a pretty low compression ratio at 7.4:1. I don't know what the new WRX's and Evo's have, but I'm sure its at least above 8, and they have no problem running a turbo. In my case, if the #6 injector for some reason was not emitting fuel, that should explain why only the #6 piston (which recieves the least amount of air) would be burned while the 1-5 pistons were ok. Had all cylinders been running lean, shouldn't the rest of them show some signs of wear? Once I get around to taking the fuel rail off, I will have the injectors tested to confirm.

Well any engine can be turbo charged just as long as you have not only enough fuel but the correct fuel. You couldnt run 15psi on an engine with 11:1 compression even if you were running on pump gas. Even 92-93 octane in this case probably wouldnt cut it. Race fuel might be able to handle it but if the gas/fuel you are using doesnt have a high enough octane rating it will detonate before it is supposed to because of all the extra heat from the high compression and the "extra" air from the turbo.

But I agree that any engine can be turbo'd, you just cant boost as much if compression is too high. Thats all. :D

Guy

Guest das280zx
das280ZX, nice website! Did you use the modern motorsports wheel adapters? How wide are your wheels?

Those wheels are kosei k1's with a +13mm offset. They are 16/7.5. They fit fine in the back, but required an 8mm slip on spacer in the front. I got them from Ross at MM for around 100 dollars or so (the spacers). Of course you have to get longer wheel studs too.

Wow, thanks for all the replies.

Yosuke, believe me, you'll be the first to know when I get ready to do the swap.

Das, thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Thanks again, guys.

Hi All,

Well my 77 280Z had a transplant several years ago, 82 280ZXT motor and trans. Well the idiot that did it did not swap out ECU, wiring harness and all the other items used on the turbo motor. Well I managed to find a 83 280ZXT with everything but the AFM and I got it all for $150 :-D .

Now my question is about a silver box above the ECU on the drivers side kick panel. What is it and do I need it :?: You see it was gone on the car I pulled my parts from but I saw one on a NA car. Also are they the same from NA to turbo :?:

This post should help me do the conversion. Now I just need to fix the plugs that were broken, all 6 injector plugs and one other I an not sure what it is.

Thanks again.

HB280ZT

• 2 weeks later...
Guest z1 performance

I originally did it on my 79..used stock steering box, stock ecu

we ran, at first, turbo injectors and modded the stock AFM, then did a custom job with the stock NA ecu running a turbo AFM with NA AFM module...eventually getting this to run (albeit rich) with 480cc injectors and a Bosch pump.

I ended up swapping to a TECII though, and a properly built 280 turbo motor. However, under the NA setup, the car ran mid 12's on a t3/t4....not to shabby :)

Guest bastaad525

seems to me that most people would agree that it is NOT economically feasible to swap a turbo motor into a ZX, rather, it would be cheaper and easier to just find a stock 280zx turbo. I would say in my case, this would DEFINATELY have been the case, I have spent way more on my turbo swapped 240 conversion than I have seen many 280zxt's go for, including the donor car which I myself bought for the swap.

just my .02.

Guest BigE

Yeah, but I've got too much invested in my ZX to give up on it and buy another. When I say that, I mean that I've put a little money and A LOT of time into keeping it going. My car is not really modded. K&N filter and poly bushings. That's it. However, I spent over 200 bucks on a new distributer, $200+ steering rack and plenty on carpet, deteriorated interior pieces, brakes, tires, etc. Plus, I know this car now. It may be old and worn, but I know it's condition. I'm not constantly worried about what can go wrong because I've run it hard in the 5 years I've owned it and everything that was gonna break, did. It's not super reliable, but it is more so than buying another under $1500 car.

I can get a wrecked or rusted Turbo car for a couple of hundred bucks and then sell the body and extra parts when I'm done. That would be a lot cheaper than getting another Z and having to make sure the tires, engine, trans, steering, braking and suspension are all in good order. Also, a lot of the money you spent on your swap would be the same that I would. I would have to upgrade and/or replace a lot of parts.

Plus, if I ever sell this car, I won't be buying another one. I've enjoyed my Z and even grown fond of it over the years. However, I received it by accident and if I ever got rid of it, I would buy something either more useful or more to my tastes.

Guest bastaad525

Heh... I think you would not want to hear how much money and time I had put into MY ZX, and yet, when that cheap 240 body came along just begging to be driven, I ditched it like so much scrap metal, along with plenty of new parts that of course, wouldn't transfer over to the earlier Z. I just gave the ZX away, minus drivetrain, because I didn't have time to mess with parting it out.

Well... I was more just repeating what I've seen said many many times, and of course, the nature of 280zxt's being so very unpredictable, and the great chance that you could find one that would be fine for what you need for very cheap if you're patient and a little lucky, you probably could do it for a good price. Not that I could say they are common, but the best deals are always the ZXT's that have been rear ended badly... I've seen two being sold personally, one for $300 and one for $500... the $500 one only had about 80k on the odo.

And about this statement:

"Also, a lot of the money you spent on your swap would be the same that I would.

PRAY you don't need to spend the kind of money fixing or replacing the sorta things I've had to fix just to keep this car running.

well, I wish ya luck :)