HybridZ

This looks like the place to ask my question...

Guest Mukrat

Guest Nebraska_280Z
Well do you want an LS1 with a 6 speed manual tranny or the 4 speed auto?

LS1 + T56(6 speed manual) are usually in the ballpark of $3000-$4000 for the engine all accesories' date=' harness, and pcm. Im not sure what years are the best. They upgraded the intake and heads I think in 2001, but Im not 100% sure on that either.

LS1 + 4L60e is usually about $500-$700 less than the T56 combo.

The LS1 is a 350cid(well its a little under 350, something like 346") Multiport EFI engine out of a 98-002 Camaro, TA, Firbirds and Corvettes(they also came in the 97 Vettes). Stock they are rated from 305-320HP depending on year and what it came out of.

Then there is the Z06 engine LS6 which is rated at 405HP.

Look at some of "mas280" posts. He is running an LS1 in his car and his putting down 398RWHP with just a cam, good intake, and good headers. :shock: And he runs a 11.2 in is car!

The LS1 is the latest and greatest on here and now everyone wants one after seeing just what they can do with very minimal mods to the engine. If you supercharged one you would be just about unstoppable on the street.

Now does your car already have the big brakes and good suspension? If so you got that covered so no money needs to be spent there. Since your car is new you wont need to do body work or interior.

The only thing that concerns me is trying to make your gauges work. Im sure theres a way though. There always is! :D

Guy[/quote']

This would definitly be cool, but i dunno about the "ultimate" thing on the street. There is a silverado running around here in Omaha that would probably give you a tough time. Can you say 10.91@ 122 :shock:

Maybe some of you have seen the video....

Ned

Possible donor car for the project!!!

http://www.erzcar.com/carpics/DSC01711/DSC01712.JPG

http://www.erzcar.com/carpics/DSC01711/DSC01715.JPG

This is closer to budget but still more then I want to spend. After all I don't need the engine and tranny. Anyone know what the VQ35 and Tranny sell for these days?

I'm sure if you put it on eBay it will bring a good bit. The trans is probably worth $800-1200 and the motor $1500-$3000 as a guess.

Did you get my email? Call me about Friday.

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn’t there a 350Z internet video out a while back about a 1/4 mile run where the guy was laughing because he put a piston through side of the block? What did he have done? It was quick. I searched but can’t find it.

I like the stroker kit AC found. That and some boost.

vq35stroker.jpg

Wasn’t there a 350Z internet video out a while back about a 1/4 mile run where the guy was laughing because he put a piston through side of the block? What did he have done? It was quick. I searched but can’t find it.

I have seen that video(I actually have it on my computer). I think the engine was stock but they put on a 350HP shot of NOS. Yeah as soon as he hit the "little red button" ........boom engine totally destroyed! :roll: Big hole in the block and the guy actually pulled part of the connecting rod out of the block! :shock:

DO IT!!! (Just my opinion ;) )

Back in 1971, a guy with a 240Z had the same thought. L6 was quick, but he wanted to SMASH the vettes, not keep up with them. In went the SBC V8 (327?) GM 4 spd, and Vette pumpkin in the rear. I have the article somewhere. It was in Popular Hotrodding back in 71.

In other words, you're repeating history from over 30 years ago! And since it' not forgotten, and at least some people think it's still a good idea, then I guess it's not one of those things that SHOULDN'T be repeated.

LS1 or LS6 crate engine would be my choice. I believe in Maryland, you'd have to have at least an engine/emissions system as new as the car. That's why the LS motor makes sense to me in the first place.

BTW, I do believe the LS-1 is as light or lighter than the Ford 302. Due to emissions alone, I'd do the LS series swap. Along with other reasons.

Don't worry about what the purists say - it's not their car, it's a production item not a rare piece of art, so there is no rational reason not to do whatever you want to it.

Personally, I'd prefer to do it to a G35 Coupe, which I think is much better looking, plus has a fake back seat for insurance reasons. JMO.

Anybody know what an outfitted 350Z engine and trans weigh? I'm thinking you may not be that much heavier with the LS engine.

• 1 year later...

well if this aint inspiration to put an ls1 in a Z i don't know what is....................i'm pondering the idea myself........but its not realistic for me right now.

i wonder really.........i shoulds just go out and when i buy my next ride just get a vette. LOL......and join the darkside of the force. LOL

Vid credit: Silver 323 on 350zmotoring forums.

http://panhandlez.com/videos/satracing2.wmv

TT350z, supercharged 350z and LS1 fbodys with some mods