HybridZ

Looking for cheap lt1 build up advice (is now a LS1 or LT1)

Guest iskone

Guest iskone

I want to build a 450hp motor with reliablity.

I'll be looking to buy a lt1 t56 drive train.

Done some reading but havn't got solid answers.

I don't want to do a stroker with an lt1 if I can get the 450hp number with out it.

Check the Camaro and Firebird sites for your answer. You can get there with an LT1 but you will need to do ported heads and a big Cam (CC306 or GM847). There is a head porter on fbody.com named Loyd Elliot that everyone seems to like and his prices are reasonable last time I checked.

Guest iskone

Why go LS1? I'd love to go that route but the price of the conversion has always lead me away.

I'll pooke around on some camaro/firebird forums, got anywhere I should start.

Hopefully Mike (Mas280) will chime in. He did tons of mods to his LT1, then went LS1 and with some minor mods is putting out a lot more ponies.....

Maybe search through some of his posts....

Guest iskone

I'll look around

I may reconsider going with the LS1 if I find a cheap one on ebay.

I know the LS1 doesn't take much to make 450hp and it's looking like the LT1 with mods would be pretty comprable.

Mike spent a bunch of time and $$$ on his LT1 and never got to 400rwhp. With a cam and a few minor mods, he has 400rwhp with the LS1....food for though. Plus, maybe the biggest factor od all....no Optispark!!

Coilpack ignition is a much better option (LS1).

I have the LT1 T56 in my Z, and it's a great engine, but for higher HP requirements, all I'm saying is that learn from others experience, and then decide. If I were to do it over, I would go LS1.

Guest iskone

I've read about problems with accessory mounting as well.

I looked into making more power with the LS1 but every thing I've seen that makes 450hp with the LS1 uses new heads, a cost I would like to avoid.

I'm I looking in the wrong places, I did a net search and found a site called ls1.com

I thought one could get that kind of power with a LS6 intake, camshaft, headers, cold air, and a 85mm TB

Do I need to add more to the list?

I searched on hybrid for LS1 mods but could'nt find anything making 450hp.

Lt1 is good motor, but if you are looking at making 450hp do not waste your time with the lt1. It will cost you less to make 450hp out of a ls1 vs a lt1.

LT1 mods

heads

cam

1.6rr

52mm tb

320rwhp

11.8@114

Ls1 mod

cam

ported tb

Under drive pulley

398rwhp with old cam 405rwhp with new cam

11.1@122.8mph

Good luck

Mike

Lt1 is good motor' date=' but if you are looking at making 450hp do not waste your time with the lt1. It will cost you less to make 450hp out of a ls1 vs a lt1.

LT1 mods

heads

cam

1.6rr

52mm tb

320rwhp

11.8@114

Ls1 mod

cam

ported tb

Under drive pulley

398rwhp with old cam 405rwhp with new cam

11.1@122.8mph

Good luck

Mike[/quote']

There you have it from the man himself!!!

Guest iskone

Damn!

A cam and a ported tb!? That's it? oh wait and the under drive pulley.

Do you have headers, cold air, or a reprogramed map?

If that's the case I'm going with the LS1!

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

WOULDN'T A 383 STROKER KIT, FULL HEAD WORK (PORT, POLISH, DOME CLEANING, 3-ANGLE, ETC.), PROPER SIZED CAM, AND A MATCHING EXHAUST GET YOU CLOSE TO THAT POWER GOAL?

Guest iskone

A 383 would get me there without a problem, the price for the 383 I had built on paper along with the t56 from d&d performance was about the same price as buying a ls1 drive train for $5,000 of ebay.

If I had a choice between a ls1 and a pre 86 383 I'd go ls1, even if the ls1 cost me $1,000-$1,500 more I'd still go ls1.

The referee? Are you talking about the state troopers?

I wasn't worried about emissions, I'll take a look at the laws or give the state troopers a call.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

I'M TALKING 383 LT1. IF YOU GO TO AUCTIONS YOU CAN GET LS1S IN WRECKED VEHICLES FOR ABOUT $2-3K. YOU CAN GET A LT1 IN A DECENT CAR FOR ABOUT $300-1200 (THEN SELL OFF WHAT YOU DON'T USE), A STROKER KIT IS ABOUT $1200-$2200, EXHAUST SHOULD BE DONE WITH THE SWAP ANYWAY, HEADWORK IS PRETTY CHEAP ON DOMESTIC MOTORS, AND CAMS ARE A DIME A DOZEN.

Guest iskone

There aren't any $300 lt1's anywhere near me.

Unless I can find a sweet deal on an lt1 or other small block i'll spend the cash and go with a ls1.

Guest JAMIE T

I've got a 400hp LT1. It made 340rwhp. Given drive-train loss, that is 400 crank HP. It comes at the expence of LT4 HOT cam kit, ported and polished heads, 1-3/4" prim. headers, other bolt-ons. That was when I still had the stock ECU, no tuning. My new ECU is tuned for my app. and made a huge improvement. Also, that was with stock cat-back(engine is still in my Z28) and a slipping clutch. I've since replaced the clutch with a SPEC unit and alum. flywheel.

I'm sticking with my LT1 cause I got it. Otherwise, I MIGHT consider an LS1.