HybridZ

Transmission... paint it or not?

Dragonfly

I am doing some work on my car which will include pulling the drive train so I started thinking "well on American Hot Rod (on Discovery Channel) they always prep and paint the transmissions before they put them in the cars maybe I should try it as well".

I have noticed that it is always automatic transmissions that they paint and mine is a manual (BW T-5). So I would like some comments and thoughts on this.

Dragonfly

It's a hell of a lot of work to get it clean enough to paint...all those little nooks and crannies (just like a thomas' english muffin :D ), just for something that no one will ever see!! Maybe just the bell housing?

Well Tim I am a glutton for punishment... but if that thing starts to get the best of me it will end up with only the bellhousing painted.

My real concern is the paint not allowing the transmission case to disipate heat well enough. As far as painting something that no one will ever see... well that is practice for me to get my prep and attention to detail skills prior to painting anything that can be seen.

Dragonfly

I polished mine and then clear coated it. Its a hell of alot of work, but well worth the effort IMHO. But of course, that much work for something that you dont really see is not for all people. I might try to post some picture later...

-S

IMHO, painting is for iron parts to keep them from rusting. I think an aluminum trans case looks far better unpainted, although the polish and clearcoat idea sounds pretty appealing. Of course you can always argue that the polishing was to eliminate places for stress fractures to start, thus strengthening the case... :D

(that said, I did powdercoat my vavle cover...)