HybridZ

New Engine Update

speeder

My new 3.0L , building for over a year, ran for the first time today!

I had just enough time to break in the new cam before I had to shut it down to fulfill obligations to the wife. :(

The motor sounds great, definitely different (more authoratative) from my last one (A rebuilt stock JY motor with a worked N42 and wrong cam) - Can't wait to see how it works. I've improved the head, cam, cubic inches, exhaust manifold, and lowered the compression with forged pistons for bigger boost capability.

Tomorrow I'll tune - should be educational to see how much more fuel this one needs (indicative of increased flow requirements). The old motor put an estimated 360 hp to the ground based on 1/4 mile performance at 17psi, and I've never really exploited the capabilities of my turbo, a P-trim/ 60-1.

There has been a lot of interest in my BAE manifold, so here are some pictures. This thing has huge runners and a log section that's easily twice the diameter of my ported stocker. I've welded on 2 T3 flanges to the existing Rayjay flange, added a pipe on the bottom for the external Racegate, and port matched the runners to my P90 head.

BAEMan1.jpg

BAEMan2.jpg

Hi Rick, that manifold looks very promissing. It looks almost like the SFP manifold with its large runners.

Did you have it JetHot coated? looks sweet. Are you going to be using the James Thagard custom intake you have also?

I'd like to see some shots of the wastegate mod you mentioned, bet that looks great also!

Will you be able to take TimO for a ride? He said he'd be stoping by while in Fla.

If so, don't scare him to bad... :D:D

Lookin good!!!

j

Guest Chris240turbo

Damn! I'm envious! I wish that manifold where still available, I don't really care to go with a tubular manifold, due to supposed cracking issues, (although I have never dealt with one) but that thing looks great, I have ported my stock ZXT manifold as much as I could, but the section between 1,2 and 3 is impossible to get to, that one looks like a great solution, I think you should pull it back off the motor and get at least a few more of them cast! can anyone here cast iron? :D

also, that looks like a good/creative location for the water lines for the center section, where does the return tie back in?

Gabe,

I should be able to run boost up to the mid-20s with this setup - I'm already looking into those bigger injectors (680 or 750cc) to accomodate.

Joel,

The manifold was ceramic coated by a local place here - I didn't get any pictures of this manifold's wastegate setup but it's very similar to the way I did my stocker, per these:

Manifold2.jpg

twg1.JPG

The mod for the wastegate is pretty simple - you just have to be very precise with your fitting to make sure everything clears. I wish I had the skill to weld like this - It was all done with Copper/Silicon/Manganese rod by a local welding genius - It should hold up fine.

Ah yes, I remember well my couple days of grinding to port that stocker - I must have taken off 4 pounds of iron, and still didn't get that hole from the front 4 cylinders looking good, And there's very little to do with those nasty bumps inside the runners without getting too thin.

Note the room in the engine compartment for a bigger compressor!

I will hook up with TimO tomorrow - probably won't be broken in enough to get too crazy...

Oh yeah - I'm using James' intake.

I'l hang from my shop's rafters today and get a straight down shot of the assembled engine bay before the front end goes on - Really do have to update my website to reflect the current config.

Chris,

I have thought about finding a foundry to do casting - and duplicate this manifold - but only just "thought" about it-

The other water line to the turbo goes to the 5/16" hose barb that comes off the front heater hose fitting at the front cover. I think that was the old air valve heater connection, as is the one visible in the picture.

I don't know if kings are made by potential alone - we'll have to see how it works out. The new motor is really strong, however -

James- I still want to do that- like I said, there is space for that big compressor, but I have to get the injectors done first. It appears my 550s are close to maxed out at 18psi :shock:

On another topic-does anyone know which injectors to buy that fit into the bungs on a stock Datsun manifold? Or how hard it is to adapt our manifolds to accept Delphi/MSD/Holley injectors?

I still want to do that- like I said, there is space for that big compressor, but I have to get the injectors done first. It appears my 550s are close to maxed out at 18psi :shock:

Wait a minute, something does not add up right here. You should be no where close to being maxed out with 550cc injs. You should be able to easily support 400+RWHP under 80%DC with those injs. At 520 at the wheels, my 75# injs were at 69% which means I was using 51.75#. Now I know some are going to say the 3.8L is different and the L28 requires more fuel, but it still does not add up. Make sure the FP is set to what is required for those injs.

Putting aside the difference in the engines, the SDS HP vs Inj chart says a 54# inj should support 589hp at the crank at 100%DC. If you estimate that to be 15% loss with a manual, that's 500 at the wheels, 80%DC would be 400 at the wheels and 85% would be 425. If I apply the SDS table to my setup I find the SDS table conservative because it says at 69%, 74# injs would support 462RWHP vs the 520 I am getting. Of course you have to go with the numbers you are seeing but it does not add up for me.

I'm in the process of double checking indications now... I've tuned for 12:1 on the wideband and relying on my E-motive software to report duty cycles at 225 kpa and 7000 rpm. I keep getting duty cycles in the 90% range. That does seem to be a rather high number....

FP is right, 43 static and referenced to boost.

On the other hand, I do know that other high horspower inliners (James, TimO, and TimZ among them) are using the 7x pounders.

I wonder what difference the Buick's sequential FI makes in this comparison? Probably none.

I'm puzzled also.

Well,

For whatever reason, I need more fuel. 750s are on the way.

I'm troubled by the way the engine still smokes (oil) after about 300 breakin miles - but the quantity seems to be decreasing. It does not seem to be valve stem seals. I'm using Total Seal rings with Steel gapless 1st rings, torque plate bored cylinders. I have heard some stories about Total Seals... Redoing rings would be a bummer.

Latest engine pics - I did some cleanup this time with the engine out, but am still not satisfied with the clutter in the engine bay. There's lotso "stuff" in there with factory A/C and all.

ZEngine5.JPG

ZEngine1.JPG

ZEngine2.JPG

ZEngine3.JPG

ZEngine6.JPG

ZEngine7.JPG