HybridZ

Headlight of Horror! Help me

Guest Pegasus76

Guest Pegasus76

Ok here's the deal...My driver side headlight does not turn on when I turn my headlights on...However, whenever I turn on my high beams my light turns on. Is there a wiring problem or is it because of my "auxilary light" bulb burnt out?

Pull the bulb out and check the socket with a Volt Meter. If you've got power, it's the bulb. You can test the bulb by just putting 12V to the low beam filament.

Good luck, hope it's the bulb since wiring can be a real pain.

- Joe

Guest SeanyD300zxT

common COMMON z31 issue...if z31.com was up you could search it there, but like one of the other guys said, you're going to have to rebuild your combo switch (its right next to the blinker fluid resevoir!! :lol: ).

the contacts within the switch just wear/get bent away, so you have to open it up, clean it, and rebend the contacts

Same damn thing happened to me on my 280z, first it was the switch, then it happend again, that time it was the wire to the switch. Then both of them went out and wouldn't turn back on, so i re-wired the headlights. Works like a charm now.

-Ed

BTW 78 280z, not a ZX

The very easiest thing to check is the headlight bulb itself.

I looked through the posts above and if you stated you checked this then - my bad.

A simple volt/ohm meter or test light will tell you if you are getting current to the low beam filament of the headlight. Unplug the connector on the bulb with the lowbeams on and stick a test light in each of the slots (use the pointed end for this - the alligator clip goes to a good ground)

Don't worry about anything else until you have determined that the bulb itself is not shot.

Guest Pegasus76

I switched the bulbs and the bulb wasn't the problem...So I ended up taking off the steering wheel and popping off the connector into the switch combo...The lower right prong looked different from the others so I am guessing that's the problem...My dad stood outside and watched my headlights and whenever I pushed down on the wiring with the funny looking prong the light would turn back on...So hopefully I can just pop off the back and replace the prong peice. Well, thanks for the help guys! Appreciate it, as usual :D