HybridZ

Idea for E-brake, Hint JSK, e.t.c.

Guest Thurem

I think that would be a little tougher to do on a Z. The pinion sits right over the front diff xmember, so there isn't room for a rotor. It could be done on the driveshaft.

How about this? http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10101&productId=1133&TID=101&catalogId=10101&langId=-1

I think I've seen these with keyed locks as an anti theft device, but that was years ago and I can't remember where I saw it. IIRC the one with the key used one of those round keys like a vending machine or a Kryptonite lock.

Seems easy enough to install.

Jon

Guest Looking for apt in Alb Ny

Thure Hows it!

Excuse my ignorance but can an effective eBrake only caliper be bought separate? Something compact and allows a rotor up to .81 ".

I was thinking of manufacturing my own ebrake caliper like Wilwood does their braking calipers. I have searched online and haven't found one available. it would be hydraulic operated which will reduce moving parts and be of better quality.

What do you guys think? What rear brake pad would you suggest. This Caliper could be marketed and wouldn't be a Datsun only item.

I have the rear 280z and for the 510 Wilwoods available! This would be a great time to see what i can do for us all.

Ill post photos tomorrow.

Jon, dont you think having a seperate setup for emergency purpose would be better? The eBrake of the 240sx caliper is mechanical even if fluid poured all out the seals or something. Just using that as an example to look into alternatives..

Thanks Juan

Guest Thurem

Wilwood has a mechanical spot caliber available (or used to, I don't know). Othervise maybe something from a gocart might work. The rotor need not be very big, only needs to be big enough to have the caliber clear the driveshaft ujoint. As the final drive ratio will multiply its holding capacity. Maybe the rotor from the front of an ATV could work, sandwiched between the ujoint and the pinion (I havent been under a Z for a while now, cause I had to give mine up, so I could be wrong ). Also check out Pete Paraskas site to look at the spotcalibers mounted by each rear wheel.

Later Thure

I checked into the willwood parking brake caliper that they make. I called willwood and they said that they were on back order for a long time. Also the guy said they they didnt do good at all. He said they were only to hold the car on level ground and he would never trust using them on a hill. So i stayed away from that. he said guys we mainly using them to pass inspection.

-Austin

Jon, dont you think having a seperate setup for emergency purpose would be better? The eBrake of the 240sx caliper is mechanical even if fluid poured all out the seals or something. Just using that as an example to look into alternatives..

Well having actually used my "emergency brake" once I see your point. When I first installed rear discs I had screwed in the brake lines into the calipers by hand, then when I did my final check to make sure I had tightened everything I forgot to check the brake lines. They held for about 30 minutes, then the pedal went to the floor. I had to use the ebrake getting off the freeway. Downshifting and the slight uphill helped a lot, but I can say that the early ZX ebrake really works pretty good!

Sounds like Wilwood's stuff sucks by all accounts, so my idea would make a good parking brake, but it looks like there isn't a good "emergency brake" solution. It will be interesting to see what you come up with Juan, but since I'm not really going to drive on the street, the parking brake would probably work for me... at least it would keep the Z from rolling down my driveway.

Jon

...How about this? http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10101&productId=1133&TID=101&catalogId=10101&langId=-1

I think I've seen these with keyed locks as an anti theft device' date=' but that was years ago and I can't remember where I saw it. IIRC the one with the key used one of those round keys like a vending machine or a Kryptonite lock.

Seems easy enough to install.

Jon[/quote']

That e-brake system would be death if it failed and locked the wheels while driving :shock:

It seems this has been mentioned many times. I get a few emails here and there if my rear setup will have an ebrake option. I think it will be greatly beneficial to come up with something soon or at least try. I have been thinking alot of making a spot caliper to fit inside a .81 rotor.

Do any of you guys here think an ebrake only used caliper would be a marketable hit? I could stuff the inside with Wilwoods rebuild seals and pistons.

I'm finishing up on the billet rails. I do picture them done but that was only the prototype. I didn't want to screw up $1,200 in aluminum. Once these are out of the way and the 13" AP racing brake setup I'm working out for Z1 Auto Ill move on to the next wave of work.

Olie, lots of streetable drag cars drive around with line locks, and I've never heard of anyone having a problem there. The keyed version of the lock would definitely be less likely to be bumped and activated though. The way these work is you step on the brake, then push the button to hold the pressure, so it's not like you hit the button accidentally and it jams the brake on... at least that's my impression of how it works.

Juan, what exactly do you mean about "inside the rotor" are you thinking like a drum-in-hat setup? That seems like an awfully big hassle and heavy to boot, and you'd be running the drum on the aluminum hat, which doesn't seem like a good idea.

A mechanical spot caliper would be the way to go for an emergency brake, and if you could design it to work with all of the wilwood setups out there you might have a reasonable amount of people to sell them to.

NO I mean a caliper alone that is hydraulic and is activated by the e brake handle. It would have its own master cylinder.

I'm looking for something that is street friendly.

To say the eBrake system would be death if it failed or lock up would be on the street rather ,due to the line lock ,correct?. If you are on a track you either have the gear and precautions to do things safely or go about it at your own risk. This item would work great for street and track use.

The line lock you show is for parking reason and would not work while in motion. What if a brake line fails or a seal blows out? How can you depend on the same hydraulics that have been damaged? That is why I think a separate unit on the wheels on the .81 rotor ( not drum style) would be awesome.

This is a moving safety device issue and don't confuse it with parking your car on a hill or something similar.

A new e brake system would be good because the stock 280ZX e-brake doesn't do much of anything for me. It doesn't create a firm enough halt of the car when used. Newer cars have much better e-brakes that can actually stop the car fairly quick. My e-brake is really only good when not in motion. It'll hold the car still on a hill but that is about it's maximum capability. About a a year and a half ago I had a guy pull out in front of me. I hit the brakes and pulled the e-brake and to be quite honest I don't think the e-brake helped at all! Hope you find a good solution to this Juan. I do think that a hydraulic system would be a good route to take versus mechanical.

I think that its officially not acceptable (unlawful) in most states to have a hydraulic emergency brake mostly because the pressure could bleed off over time, depending on how "good" your seals are. Personally, I wouldn't have confidence in a hydraulic emergency brake over an extended period of time. Mechanically actuated is the way to go.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

You are right Mike

That's why I said only while in motion it would be used. Oh, and your setup has been sent.

This is a moving safety device issue and don't confuse it with parking your car on a hill or something similar.

:-D

I was thinking we can have an arm the releases chains that get caught into the wheels and brake setup?

But If we were to look into something mechanical it can be done. Ill take a look into it. Juan

Guest 350zgto

Juan why not the late Camaro or C-4 Vette rear calipers with built - in mechanical e-brake? One is center pull (for the cables), the other is side pull, I dont remember which is which. They are available and work well. Im in for a set if you make them.