HybridZ

Sweet LS1 Exhaust System

Phantom

For those you that are working on LS1/LS6 conversions and planning a single outlet in the stock position I would recommend using dual 2 1/2" pipes, a frame clearance tube from Dr. Gas on the passenger side where it clears the rear suspension, a Magnaflow PN# 10791 X-pipe, and a Magnaflow PN# 12158 muffler.

I just installed this on my 280Z28 and it is really sweet. Deep, mellow tone. Quiet at idle and quiet inside the cabin at cruise speeds (60-80 mph) and a really sweet sound when the rpm rolls up above 3,000.

The X pipe improves engine scavenging and helps with the noise level a bit.

Hey, where's the credit for my input? :roll:

I have to give credit to Paul Zech, who has a sweet 240Z w/ 350 that I met at the Z show here in Eugene, OR a couple weeks ago. Paul runs dual 2" with X pipe back to a dual 2" in to 2.25" out. It as really quiet and sounded sweet. He ran the setup on a chassis dyno and ended up with 300 RWHP, took the exhaust off at the back and ran straight pipe and there was absolutely no difference in HP, but huge in noise!! We figured that size was about maxed out for 300 RWHP, so we decided to up it to 2.5". I'll end up going the same route. I want the power, but believe in stealth! You can be fast & quiet! I don't want to attract Johnny Law's attention and I'll just impress everyone with sheer acceleration!! :-D

I stand corrected! :oops:

Gary forwarded me two photos of Pauls car which confirmed that someone did do what I was looking at doing - and that the parts existed out there. Later he was able to confirm the muffler mfg., Dynoflow, which, as it turns out, was the muffler and X pipe manufacturer that had been recommended to me down here by a shop that specializes in LS1's.

Once I knew that it was full steam ahead and a week later the install was complete.

One minor point Gary - it will be stealthy until you dump it - then there will be no doubt what lurks under the hood!! It is such a sweet howl though.

Say Gary - I noticed that you're still claiming completion of the Quicksilver project in July of 2004? That's just a week away :roll:

No pressure. :-D

Hey, now!! I didn't say July 1st, shooting for the All Datsun Meet in Shasta the weekend of the 17th. It's possible, but I'm not sure. I'm still going to keep the pressure on myself for July, either way. The Z06 gauge cluster showed up yesterday, so the dash will get done this week. Stay tuned!

• 4 weeks later...
Say Gary - I noticed that you're still claiming completion of the Quicksilver project in July of 2004? That's just a week away :roll:

No pressure. :-D

Hey' date=' now!! I didn't say July 1st, shooting for the All Datsun Meet in Shasta the weekend of the 17th. It's possible, but I'm not sure. I'm still going to keep the pressure on myself for July, either way. The Z06 gauge cluster showed up yesterday, so the dash will get done this week. Stay tuned![/quote']

definately wanna some pis of that dash/cluster!! :D

• 4 years later...

Bringing this back from the dead while searching LS1 exhaust info... am I looking up the right part #? did they change after 4-5 years? It's showing a 2 into 1 muffler, 2.5" on every end, 2 in, 1 out... wouldn't it be better with 3 or 3.5" out? If the original poster still has pics of the exhaust, could you please post them?

thanks

Oh my....how the years fly! I guess going pretty much all custom and starting with a shell and a box full of parts, you realize how much longer it takes, how many parts are missing and more money it takes. Now it's finally get there!

I'm going with an X-pipe and dual 2.5" all the way back and have the dual 2.5" in and 3" out. Will be getting that done very soon.

8934Magnaflow_Muffler_x-pipe.jpg

Here's how Paul did his car and could probably be tucked up a little bit better, but this has minimal bends in it.

VetteExhaust1.jpg

VetteExhaust2.jpg