HybridZ

To rebuild or not to rebuild

EZ-E

Ive been trying to decide what to do since my turbos about to go to turbo heaven, its been spitting oil, and Ive been looking at either a new or new to me from a freind turbo, which would still cost after the fact to install or getting a rebuild kit, or buying a used replacement.

The rebuild kits arent that expensive and fall into my price range. I have never taken a turbo apart though, and am a bit leary of trying to do it myself. From the parts listed and shown though it doesnt seem to be that hard of a job though I may be fooling myself.

What I am asking is, one is it an easy task to rebuild your turbo charger, would it be like new or close to new with the rebuild kit(doesnt include new wheels though), or would it be just as easy or in my better interest to get a used turbo for now till I can afford a new one?

Anyone have any opinions that have done this before?

I sent my core in and bought a rebuilt unit. I am happy with it so far so good. About $400 for a TO4B which has a larger flowing compressor but still uses the stock ZX turbine that bolts to the exhaust manifold. I would reccommend a rebuilt unit and if you want simplicity get a stock rebuild. It's fast, cheap, and easy.

IMHO

I you can be happy with what little power the stock one can make I would rebuild it. You can get T3/4's on ebay with T4 E 57trim compressors and stg III turbines pretty cheap. You would need the ford style wastegate housing though, not too much, but it would definately be an upgrade. The stock turbine is too small to make big power. I would upgrade to something like that and sell yours. The Honda guys like them because of the 60 trim wheel.

If you rebuild it you will need a pair of snap ring pliers with small tips, might have to grind them down to fit. If the shaft is scored most local shops can send them out if they don't have the equipment. I would buy your rebuild kit localy too. If you do need the shaft turned and need over sized bearings or have any other problems or questions your new turbo shop will be more willing to help out. Also be careful when putting the shaft back in, one quick tap should do it after the piston ring is lined up( about what it takes to tap it out). If you bang on it a couple of times with out re-checking the ring you can bend it. If it isn't too carboned up and isn't scored it can easily be pulled, rebuilt and back on in a day.

They are easy to rebuild, you won't need a new wheel or turbine unless yours are chipped. I would not buy a used turbo unless you know how to pull them apart. Every turbo I have bought used has needed something. I would only buy new or rebuilt in your case.