HybridZ

Selling the 1st 300ZX LS1 Conversion....

Well, I have decided to sell the first Z32 LS1 powered 300ZX. I no longer am able to enjoy it as I used to, and could use the money more than having it sit in the garage. Now someone has the oportunity to purchase this piece of history... Feel free to ask any questions! Here is the link to the auction on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2483301129

There are plenty of pictures of the project that can be found by searching for posts made by myself on this website as well as on twinturbo.net. The eBay link also has several pictures.

Good Luck! :D

Swmmr4u@aol.com

Brian

I have updated the auction information to include my reserve price at the bottom of the following webpage! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2483301129&category=6398&sspagename=WDVW

With all that has gone into the Z i know that I will not get anywhere near what i put into it... but being that it is a piece of history and the potential for increase in value is great, I figured that the $13,000 reserve price is a very small price to pay.

GOOD luck!!! If any questions, feel free to email me: Swmmr4u@aol.com

:D

I really dont mean to shoot you down but a car with an engine swap is not "a piece of history".

I think the reserve is set pretty fair. The Z32 is a very nice car but now with the addition of the LS1 its even better. $13,000 seems like a deal to me! :D

Good luck!

Guest Marshall
I really dont mean to shoot you down but a car with an engine swap is not "a piece of history".

I think the reserve is set pretty fair. The Z32 is a very nice car but now with the addition of the LS1 its even better. $13' date='000 seems like a deal to me! :D

Good luck![/quote']

If comparing to an NA 300ZX, then the LS1 would make it better. But if it started out as a TTZ, I don't see why someone would go for a power downgrade, especially when you can easily get more horsepower and torque at the rear wheels out of the VG than the LS1 will put out at the crank. Remember that the Z32 is heavy and needs lots of engine.

I think the reserve is set pretty fair. The Z32 is a very nice car but now with the addition of the LS1 its even better. $13' date='000 seems like a deal to me! :D

Good luck![/quote']

If comparing to an NA 300ZX, then the LS1 would make it better. But if it started out as a TTZ, I don't see why someone would go for a power downgrade, especially when you can easily get more horsepower and torque at the rear wheels out of the VG than the LS1 will put out at the crank. Remember that the Z32 is heavy and needs lots of engine.

I owned a 91TT for awhile, and know a little bit about them, but didn't think they ever came as a TT in a 2+2 model....

Guest JAMIE T

If you put the money you put into the VG, into the LS1, The VG would get it's ass handed to it. The LS1 makes more power in stock trim than a VG30DETT. Hands down. When was the last time you saw a BONE STOCK Z32TT run mid 13's in the 1/4. Late model F-bodies do it every weekend all across the country. MAS280's LS1-Z makes something like 400 RWHP with just a cam and minor bolt-ons. Not $1500 worth of turbo upgrades etc...

Guest Marshall

If you put the money you put into the VG, into the LS1, The VG would get it's ass handed to it. The LS1 makes more power in stock trim than a VG30DETT. Hands down. When was the last time you saw a BONE STOCK Z32TT run mid 13's in the 1/4. Late model F-bodies do it every weekend all across the country. MAS280's LS1-Z makes something like 400 RWHP with just a cam and minor bolt-ons. Not $1500 worth of turbo upgrades etc...

The LS1 is a great engine for sure, but you're forgetting that the Z32 is heavier than the Camaro and that it will be slower with the same engine.

Another thing is that the suspension of the Z32 doesn't enable it to launch very well at all. Best I could ever get was a 2.0 60 foot time.

You're also forgetting that the car is forced induction, and you can increase the boost for free. I have not modded my engine, only increased boost, and I ran a 13.0@ 107.4 my second time to the track (first time I ran a 13.9@103 when it was stock) It is not realistic to think that a turbo car is going to keep its boost stock when free power is there for the taking. I went from 300 crank HP and 283 lbs of torque to 400+ crank hp and 450+ lbs of torque by just cranking up the boost.

Also, the VG is already in the Z32, so you don't have to spend any money mounting it. By the time you spend the money to get a totally stock LS1 mounted in the Z, you could have already purchased larger turbos and fuel injectors for it.

For the money it takes to purchase a stock, used LS1 and get it mounted in the Z32, I could have my engine running 550 rwhp with bolt ons. (Td05 kit+ fuel injectors)

The LS1 is a great engine for sure' date=' but you're forgetting that the Z32 is heavier than the Camaro and that it will be slower with the same engine.[/quote']

HUH? Does a Z32 weigh in at over 3700 lbs, which is the stock weight of a Camaro/Firebird? C5 Vettes are in the 3200 lbs range. You won't match the torque & HP curves of an NA V8 with a pair of upgraded turbos in a 3.0 V6. I'll take broad power & torque over an "on-off switch", anyday! I know which one would be more driveable and be a better autocrosser! :)

Guess I'll have to 'weigh in' too. The Z32 coupe is about 250lbs lighter than a late model Camaro. If you look hard at the Z32 in question, however, two things become apparent:

1) It's a 2+2!! That still doesn't make it as heavy as a Camaro though. Besides - he took the AC out so that lightens it a bit more.

2) No 2+2's were TT's. Only coupes were TT's. That means it started life as a 220 HP NA V-6. In that case, look at the bang for the buck!

Guest Marshall

The LS1 is a great engine for sure' date=' but you're forgetting that the Z32 is heavier than the Camaro and that it will be slower with the same engine.[/quote']

HUH? Does a Z32 weigh in at over 3700 lbs, which is the stock weight of a Camaro/Firebird? C5 Vettes are in the 3200 lbs range. You won't match the torque & HP curves of an NA V8 with a pair of upgraded turbos in a 3.0 V6. I'll take broad power & torque over an "on-off switch", anyday! I know which one would be more driveable and be a better autocrosser! :)

Camaros do not weight over 3700 lbs.

http://www.new-cars.com/2002/chevrolet/chevrolet-camaro-specifications.html

This says 3323 lbs.

http://joshker99.home.comcast.net/98z28.htm

This guy says his is 3330 lbs.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/1784.html

And the US Department of Transportation says 3336 lbs.

I think we see a trend here...

For reference, the TTZ weighs about 3500 lbs.

Guest ON3GO

2+2 were never available in the USA as twin turbo models.

only in japan, and europe.

now the 2+2 is a tad better for handling with its longer wheel base, but its heavier and not as stiff.

now im not gonna start bashing the Z32 LS1 car, i like it, its badass, you can deff see how much lighter the LS1 is then the VG30DE as the car is sitting TALL with the LS1 in there.

bang for the buck a LS1 swap is a sweet idea and i would deff do it.

BUT even if i was broke and didnt have money for all the mega money aftermarket parts for the twin turbo model and i wanted something fast i would consider a LS1 swap.

now do i think the LS1 is a better motor then the VG.. nope, thats just me though. i rather have a N/A VG30DE over a twin turbo VG30DETT anyways so im werid :)

mike

Guest Marshall
If you look hard at the Z32 in question' date=' however, two things become apparent:

1) It's a 2+2!! That still doesn't make it as heavy as a Camaro though. Besides - he took the AC out so that lightens it a bit more.

2) No 2+2's were TT's. Only coupes were TT's. That means it started life as a 220 HP NA V-6. In that case, look at the bang for the buck![/quote']

A couple things that were apparent to me were the fact that after the engine conversion he says "I no longer am able to enjoy it as I used to". And it's put up for sale.

While I'm not specifically blaming the LS1 for him not enjoying the car, you guys can't tell me that this is a good swap and made it more enjoyable. He says the steering binds due to the engine placement interfering with the steering rack.

I am not anti-LS1 by any means, I'd like to have one in a 240Z. But until someone can do a clean install in the Z32 and show that this engine works without causing problems in the car, I'd stay away from it in the Z32.

Guest Marshall
I'll take broad power & torque over an "on-off switch", anyday! I know which one would be more driveable and be a better autocrosser! :)

I can't argue with that. That is one thing which keeps me from big turbos on the Z. You can get big power, but it gets peaky and begins at about 4000 rpm.

The best usable upgrade is probably sport 500's, you can get about 460 rwhp on pump gas and have better than stock spoolup. But the usable powerband falls off fast once you go with big turbos. Just not enough displacement to spool them up fast enough.

Sorry for my lack of input in this thread :0( But its been quite busy here! The LS1 is an amazing motor...Whenever i do drive the Z, i am always amazed at the gobs of torque it now has. You can definitely tell that the entire car is lighter. Not only did the LS1 engine/tranny weigh aprox 150 lbs less than the NA VG motor/tranny, but i also did loose a bit more weight with the removal of several items on the Z (ie AC/sound deadening material). Stock for stock, the LS1 puts out a good deal more hp than the VG30DETT motor. GM rated their LS1 motor at a very conservative 320hp at the crank. Stock LS1s have been dynoed and pulled over 320 to the wheels! I would love to see a VG do anywhere near the same.

Now, cost of mods relating to both motors. The LS1 domestic motor will be far cheaper to mod than the VG. I experienced moding the VG and spent a fortune. I spent faaar less modding the LS1 and am already surpassing anything that i was able to do with the VG. The cost of the conversion is not as expensive as one might think. I bought the LS1 engine/tranny/electronics/fuel pump for $3100 and sold my stock motor/mods/tranny/electronics for $3500!! Which left me cash for additonal conversion extras.

The reason for me not being able to enjoy the Z as much as i wish, is simply for a couple reasons.. #1...I am addicted to modding the LS1. I am continually spending money on modifications, and the Z ends up sitting in the garage awaiting parts and or time for me to installt he mods. #2 I have become extremely busy with a full time job as well as full time at the university. I barely have time to sleep let alone run the Z. I decided that I could better utilize the money than the Z in the garage. I do plan on building another Z in the future when i will be able to enjoy it more.

Now on to the issue about the steering. To fix this "issue" it will cost aprox $100 and take less than a day at a welding shop. The crossmember simply needs to be raised 2 inches and the steering rack moved forward (by relocating and welding in the steering rack brackets). If the buyer/winning bidder of the auction wishes, i can have this modification done.

Well i think that covers it!! There are only a few more hours left in the auction!! Good luck bidding! If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at Swmmr4u@aol.com