HybridZ

Replacement Frame Rails

I just threw out my old rails a few weeks ago so this is from memory. The outside diameter is right at 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" but I don't know what gauge they were. They were thin and likely less than 1/16" thick but if we use that then the inside diameter would be 2 3/8" x 2 3/8". I replaced mine with 2 1/2" square tube and it was very close to the stock size.

The reason I want to know the interior diameter of the rails is . . .

I have good solid rails under my car.

Instead of cutting them out, I was thinking . . .

Cut out only the interior floor over the rails (leaving the stock rails intact) and laying in some extensions to the back.

I do not need to take good frame rails out, I`m just thinking of an option to add extensions back to the rear to get some added chassis support.

I will be doing some "stitch "welding to add some stength up frt (frame rails / tc box area) and may add some extra metal for added stength.

Hope this makes sence without pics.

Here is how I did my subframe to frame rail connection and I believe you could do something similar with the stock rails.

frame%20to%20sub.jpg

I used 1x3 tubing under the floors but it would require you to remove the factory rails that are under there. I use the term "rails" loosely when it comes to the under floor supports. :-D

Here is my connection to the rear factory frames.

subframes.jpg

fr.jpg

I measured the sheet thickness where I cut mine

and its 1/16th inch , my rails are a little bent up so I dont want to give

you an inaccurate measurement.

I dont want to hijack your thread but... nice work Jeff

Thats what I will be doing also , but I have 2x3 tube .093

How did you tie in the T/C brackets? Do you have anymore pictures?

thanks

OK guys you're making me work at this. :-D I had not taken a picture of the gusset plate until now. The car is back on the ground but I was able to get a pretty good picture of it. We made a cardboard template and then cut 1/4" plate steel to shape. I know it would probably be better to triangulate it some how but I can't imagine that this won't be strong enough.

TC%20Tie%20In.jpg