HybridZ

Suggestions anyone? T3/T4 with stock ex housing

Guest Jason84NA-T

Guest Jason84NA-T

OK, so take a look:

http://z31.com/unsorted/turbozzz.JPG

I was told the stock exhaust housing, on the right, could be bored so it could be swapped in place of the stage 3 housing, on the left (because the stage 3 housing is ford 5 bolt style). But if you take a look, there is no extra room to bore it on account of the way the 02 elbow bolts up (the metal meets at the edge of the bore), you would have to port the elbow as well and then the wall thickness would be very minimal, or so I would think. The idea was to use the stage3/stock exhaust housing and o2 elbow so I could use the stock internal wastegate setup and downpipe.

Can this still be done, with good results?

I'm debating at this point just going for a 5 bolt flangine, having a custom downpipe made, using a external wastegate and calling it good. The down side to that would be the extra money, and downtime for the car... I'd rather not have either.

Suggestions?

Why not just use the Ford 5 bolt style wastegate housing. You can keep the internal wastegate. Just need to get a 5 bolt wastegate housing and flange for it. Look on Eaby the wastegate housings go for around $20 and flanges are about that or less. Saab, Ford and Volvo use the same set up. This way you are'nt stuck with your special one off Nissan stage 3 turbo if you want to go up to a stage V. It would probably be cheaper than having yours machined.

Guest Jason84NA-T

Ok, a few more things:

-The machining is $100 plus shipping.

-The stock 7 bolt nissan exhaust housing has a larger wastegate hole to begin with, over the stage 3 turbonetics housing.

-I would need a custom downpipe, using the stock exhaust housing is the only option if I wish to retain my VERY nice 3" downpipe.

-the stock 02 elbow wraps around the steering shaft, would be hard to get something else to work in that tight of a space.

So, I guess I answered my own question; time to send it off to turbonetics.