HybridZ

Who sells stiffer springs for 280zx

Hey guys, I've got an 83 280zxt that I drag race. I'm running M&H slicks out back and when I launch I'm getting excessive squat. The rear bumper is nearly on the ground and the front is getting very light. The car weighs aprox 3000lbs w/driver and I'm looking for a stiffer spring without lowering the car at all. If I go lower, my slicks will not fit. Does anyone make a stiffer spring for the 280zxt without going to a coil over set up? If not, has anyone messed around with using air bags or air shocks to minimize the squat? I'm currently running stock springs with kyb's out front and in back.I've attempted to ehlp squat using "spring savers" that twist between the coils and it's helped some, but it still gets way more squat than is acceptable.

Well the trick in 510 circles is to use roadster comp front springs. They're REALLY stiff. You could also get some super stiff shocks (possibly the cheapo kind that have a schrader valve in them for towing).

The ZX rear and the 510 rear ends are the same (almost) so you may want to see what the 510 guys are doing. There is a guy here with a 500+ hp 510 with a turbo L6 in it, he'd be a good guy to ask. I think it's sss510 or 510sss. I always get his handle screwed up.

Jon

Actually compression of springs does not change weight transfer. A car with solid rods vs springs experiences the same amount of weight transfer in a turn, acceleration or deceleration.

For example, a shopping cart with no springs still experiences weight transfer when you push it around (items in the cart move around and wheels will lift off in fast turn, rapid stop....).

Stabilizer bars for example do not change weight transfer in turns, then only minimize role which minimizes camber change in the turn which might then improve handling but keeping an optimal contact patch. They also improve transition time helping rapid maneuvers..

So various springs will not affect weight transfer in the drag car or the front end getting light, however I imagine it might affect time since some of the initial torque will be used to compress the car down instead of launching forward (again improved transition time with stiffer set up)..