HybridZ

autometer fuel level gauge problem...

hey guys.

i've been having some bad luck with my autometer fuel level gauge. the fuel level runs down much faster than the fuel is actually being used, and i can't get an accurate indication.

at first, the problem was that the guage i had was expecting 0-90 ohms from the fuel level sender, when in fact the Z sender sends 10-73 ohms. well, i got the right gauge (10-73 ohms) and put it in, and now the problem is even worse. my theory on this is hard to explain. if you look at the gauge itself, you can see that the level change is not linear. by this i mean the display from 0 - 1/2 is longer than from 1/2 to full. also, if you look at the nissan fuel level sender itself, you can see that the level change in the potentiometer's windings is not linear since the tank is not rectangular in shape. my guess is that the gauge is expecting a linear signal (like a fuel pressure would be) and is correcting for the fact that tanks arent linear. so basically two non-linear corrections is compounding the matter and making it something worse, like logarithmic or exponential.

or....i could be over thinking it...haha....

is anyone using an autometer guage? anyone figured out how to get around this? or does it work right for you? if so, whats your setup? universal fuel level sender?

any help would be appreciated.

thanks!

Mine did the same thing with a Dodge sender only longer on the full side. I special ordered a VDO gauge to rectify the problem. They sent the gauge with the ½ at the ¾ mark.

Dammed heathens. :evil: