HybridZ

MSA Rebuilt L6

Guest AShout4U

Guest AShout4U

So I did a search and i'm sorry but i couldn't find anything for this topic.

I was wondering if anyone has used or is still using the Motorsports Auto Rebuilt L6 motor they carry. I'm really looking into this motor for my 1979 280ZX but i was wondering if it was worth it all or what.

Any responses are appreciated.

Any ideas or suggestions for motor swaps or build ups would be greatly accepted.

Well,

thanks for the help and whatnot.

Guest bastaad525

Dont they get those motors straight from nissan?

You know... come to think of it for all the Z guys know I've never known anyone who bought an MSA rebuilt engine or even the head that they sell either. Probably because they want too much money for them :-P

Guest AShout4U

well see they have it listed at like 1795 or 1700 or something, and for a basic rebuild around here (South Dakota, Rapid City) its something like 1500 just for the basic motor, but if get the reman-engine, i can put a cam on it, 11 lb flywheel and get a new clutch installed and whatnot. ya know? i havent researched in one more shop (Rapid City's Performance Import) they supposedly specialize in Z cars and can build a 600 HP turbo motor from the L28 but i dunno im just going off rumors.

I think ill give MSA a call and see where they get their motors, it says somewhere in Japan. But who knows.

Thanks

The picture in the Motorsport catalog is of an ATK motor. The ATK distributer in Dallas 19 years ago was Passport Engines. I worked for Passport as the warranty manager. I would go to the shop which had installed the "problem" ATK (and Vege-the european counterpart to ATK) engine to diagnose the problem. The ATK engines were the best rebuilds that I have ever worked with. Very seldomly was ATK at fault. The problems were almost all ways caused by an installer NOT cleaning radiator or NOT fixing a fuel system issue or NOT fixing the THING that caused the original engine to fail.

The actual failure rate was extremely low, about the same rate that I saw factory engines fail when I worked for Dealers.

Back then the engines were being rebuilt in Japan and most moving parts were being replaced.

We had problems getting any Japanese engines larger that 2.0 liters because their tax laws penalized cars with larger engines and the cores were being sourced there so the 280 stuff was rare.

I haven't been involved with ATK since leaving Passport and do not know what their build qualilty is now but it was GREAT in 84-85.

I would check atk-engines.com

One of the nicest aspect of the ATK was the fact if an engine failed under warranty ATK would pay labor to the installing shop to repair it. When I worked for Passport it was good for 1 year/12,000 miles. Now the warranty is 3 years unlimited mileage at any shop nationwide.

This says something about the rebuilder!

Now, IMO this warranty would be considered void if you take it apart to make preformance mods to it. But if you are looking for a well done stock engine then the ATK will work fine for many years.

I just checked their website and it shows 1695 + core. (they still can't get cores in Japan)

Back in the 80s ATK set the "retail price" and the distributors could sell the engine for what ever they wanted. I think that "wholesale" price on this today would be 1400-1500 and you may want to call around to see what you can pick one up for.

The engines came from Japan in a very nice crate (I still use some of the base pallets today) and with all gaskets needed to install it.

They were a very good deal back then and were nicely detailed as well- No Aluminum or Cast spray paint, no overspray paint on aluminum castings, no bad runs in paint. Maybe more nicely detailed than orig factory.

Good stock stuff put together right that looks nice and has a killer warranty.

If you are thinking about Hi-Po engine mods the the 1500 would be better spent on rebuilding a core. Core 280 engine should cost 100 and 1400 can buy most of a good rebuild. This is assuming you are assembling it yourself

Hope this helps

Rick