HybridZ

Installed FD RX7 seats in my 280Z today, my take on them

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

Hey guys desided to get some work done on my blue Z today.

when to my buddies chris's house and got to work.

What i have is tan leather seats out of a FD (93-96) RX7 Twin Turbo.

there very comfy, firm, good racing seat i think. they were also free :D from a friend.

anyways what i did was :

i took the stock sliders off the stock seats, funny enough the rx7 seats use the same size screw as the Datsun seats to mount the rail to the seat.

but only the front 2 screw fit.

i then drilled 2 holes in the plastic/fiberglass for the back to holes for the rails. i used about a inch plastic spacer for the rear 2 mount screws and none for the front 2.

i had to trim away some of the plastic/fiberglass on the bottom of the seats on one side to fit the one rail with the back/forth leaver on it.

you also have to switch the rails, so the stock datsun left seat rail will be on the right side and the right on the left.

with all what ive done it makes the seat about a 1inch and a half higher in the front of the seat and a inch higher on the back of the seat.

not bad for me sense im short (5'8) but if your like 6 foot something it still would be fine but you couldnt wear a helmet.

i think i can make them lower and maybe give them more of a better "tilt" to them as they kinda sway back abit.

i do like them alot and they blow the stock seats out of the water!

and man o man do they look sweet!

ill post pics tomorrow!

Mike

Guest ON3GO

ya sorry.. i didnt think anybody cared because nobody replied for abit.

849_p15507.jpg

i still need to do something with the rails/mounts to make the seats sit lower..

Mike

Guest ON3GO
Mike' date='

That sure looks like the RX7 seat is sitting on top of the original Z seat?? :?:[/quote']

na i have no place to store my stock seats so i took them apart and put the back part of the stock seat behind my FD seats.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I just mounted my seats and they are truly awesome. I have the rear sitting directly on the rail mount and the front has two spacers, as I am fairly tall, and like to have a bit of rear decline in the seat to hold me in. They are very comfy, and they hold me in quite well. Also the cloth material looks great, and the backs of them are leather. I am very happy with these seats and now I must get harnesses to compliment them. Pics will come as soon as I get my camera back from my friend.

actually the backs and sides of my seats are leather, it is just the front that is cloth. Don't worry man, your seats look great too.

i cant beat the price for my seats... free.

cant beat that with a 5 dollar hooker!

mike