HybridZ

what are the benefits of an R200?

e_racer1999

An R180 diff that has a LSD installed can handle 320hp and 270 ft. lbs. of toque. That's what I ran in my 240Z for a couple years without any problems. By sticking with the R180 you save 30 lbs and get better driver's side halfshaft angles.

The R200 is stronger, but I wouldn't switch with only 250 hp. Funny I should say that, because I have that much or a little less, but I have switched to the R200. I did it for the cheap LSD though (87-89 300ZX Turbos came with LSD, I got mine for $325).

Here's why you might not want to switch: http://www.betamotorsports.com/benchracing/index.html Click on R200 Handling Issues.

thank you for the info and the link... would the r180 be sufficient if i swap in the 5 speed? i don't plan on making buttloads of torque, but i am swapping in an entire L28 assembly (however i am destroking it w/ my 240 crank and rods)

so basically, with a destroked L28 with minor intake modifications (for now), will the r180 be too tall for me to get ample acceleration?

-jason

Also look for late 1970s and early 1980s 810s and Maximas. Some have a 3.70 R180 rear diff and a few (very few) have a 3.90 R180 rear diff which works very well with the 5 speed swap. You'll also need to get some type of LSD for the R180 you install.

hmm... so basically i'm looking at approximately $_____ to get me going? my biggest problem is that i'm baroque :( so i'm just trying to use parts i have (namely from my wrecked 280zx). if i swap the r200 from that in will it be difficult (and yes i know i'd be doing double work) to swap another r180 in later? i don't think it would be, but i know it's gonna be a chore. anyway, thanks for your help!

-jason