HybridZ

Any tips for polishing intake manifold

If you have a good power drill (not the battery kind) and you get a buffing wheel and compound it works good on aluminum. Even if you dont sand it, it'll give it a nice semi-shine and then you can hit it with semi-chrome (sp?) and it would look nice. It wouldnt look like chrome, but a soft shine. Thats what I did with my AFM anyways

John,

Unless you are into getting covered in black crud and are willing to put in the effort it takes to get your parts all shinny, then I would suggest taking them to a shop that polishes aluminum parts. They typically know what they're doing and they can have it done way faster than you will. When I got my parts back I was afraid to touch them they looked so good!!!Cost??? Well, in my case, I had my balance tube, both intakes runners, and cam cover done for $125.00 Don't get me wrong here, I prefer to do my own work on my Z but sometimes you have to draw the line between common sense and ego.

Just one man's opinion,

Tom :D

Oh! I forgot to mention I did do the work of filing, sanding, filing, sanding, etc. However, I did discover that the process of buffing out the parts will remove more of the small inperfections than I had first thought. So, talk with the polishing shop first, so you don't spend an excessive amount of time filing , sanding, filing, sanding.

Tom

The key is to remove the factory casting grain marks - the little acne' date=' dots.

Like Drax said...this takes time like there is no tomorrow - literally!

But once the prep is done (the most imp. part of polishing) its all down hill.

Yasin[/quote']

Exactly, what I have now realised, I got some rasp type bits to put on my dremel and this is working well so I think I will do the whole thing myself as I went out and but some supplies to do it, but it does look nice. Man the factory casts for these things were way off there is so much extra alumuminum on the sides of the runners where the two halves meet it is unbelievable.

Thanks for the tips guys,

John

• 2 weeks later...

This damn manifold got the best of me, ended up just wrinkle finishing it. Goes along with my black wrinkle finish valve cover anyhow, also shows off my billet fuel rail and throttle body spacer. Man it so nice when u shave these things it makes it look so tidy. It was just taking up way too much time, where as painting it took like 10 mins.

John