HybridZ

Thinking about 260Z

Guest Mysticle31

Guest Mysticle31

Hello, New here. I recently built and parted out a MK2 (1991) Jetta VR6. Great fun car, just don't like FWD much.

I'm looking for a car thats:

Easy to make power (Swaps, boost..)

Independent Suspension (gotta be a good handler)

Back Seat (I do onece in a blue moon every 5 years like to take people around)

Smog Exempt (Got to be easy to make power, less to worry about)

Lightweight

Near 50/50 (or more rear)

Stiff Chassis

RWD

Generates Downforce (or min Aerodynamic lift)

Low GG

You can put wide tires on it

Well, one of the ony cars I've found that do this are 260Z's, Super Beetle (needs power handles great easily)

I'm into 510s, and BMW 2002s but they don't seem to have any "v8 kits" and might be more difficult to make quick. DSM's and Porsche 944s are cool if everything is smog legal but their heavy. Even the 2+2 Z is the lighest 4 seater I can find at 2600lbs.

So, now I'm wondering what options I have for these Z's for Suspension, Brakes..etc Parts seem REALLY hard to come by (compared to VW at least)

How hard is it to make one of these cars stop, and handle? Oh, other vehicle sugestions are welcome too.

Thank you for your time. There may be a new community member..

Guest Phailure

I would agree with most of it except the stiff chassis (you probably want to do subframe connectors) and aerodynamic. As I understand, early Z's arent very safe at 120+ mph. Also, I hear that the headlight covers can make a fair difference in performance because of poor aerodynamics. Just a few things to think about.

My opinion is that you should forget the Z if you want to drive people around. Go look at a 2+2 in person and try and fit in the backseat. It's not much of a backseat. That being said if you can deal with a 2 seater a 240 would handle better than a late 260 as it is lighter to start with. You'll probably be gaining some weight with subframe connectors or roll bar or cage so starting with the lightest car is a good idea if you're looking for handling.

As an alternative I'd suggest a 510 with an SR20DET swap. That would be light and would handle great, smog exempt, but you'd need some flares for big tires, and it's aerodynamically challenged. If you can deal with a 2 seater, a 240 with a good airdam and spoiler, good suspension upgrades and an LS1 swap is looking like a reasonably inexpensive way to meet all of your goals with the one exception.

Guest Mysticle31

Where do you live? I'd like to check out your Z

Yeah, I wouldn't be driving cross country with the 2+2 with people. I can't imagine it being much worce then siting in the back of a 325IS or an old Corolla?

Is that a bolt in swap for the 510? I'm not up for a buch of custom work. Whatever I get has to be a good 98% bolt in. Or a kit that makes it so.

I'd suggest a 510 for sure, the Z 2+2's don't have much room and don't look so good.

Lots of engines available for a 510, and custom made bolt in engines up to 2.3L. The 2 2.3L 510's I've driven were very quick, and it is a really nice setup. Even the 2.0L (L20B) cars I've driven have been good.

If you want more power there are kits available to swap in a VG30 NA engine (3.0L V6) that is a very nice mod. Expect to spend upwards of $2000 for the kit to do the conversion, but in the end you can bolt in a VG30. (carb'd or EFI) With the VG installed you are looking at 3X the HP and torque than the stock 1600cc engine would give you. Seriously fast at that point.

Guest Mysticle31

Where can I find forums like this for 510s? Were can I find more parts, more info! What parts bolt up to thr 510s? How much do they weigh?

If I abandened the rear seat thing. How much does a 240Z weigh? Without the rear seat requirement. It's up againsed Porsche 914s, 912, 944 (if easly smog legal) Fiero (if easly smog legal).

Can I keep close 50/50 (mabey more rear) with it if it had s v8? (Alumium heads? Alumium Block (ls1) Aluminum Rad?)

Too bad there were really no independent rear suspension american cars made until the early 80s.