HybridZ

Last Turbo Intake on Ebay

hey bro i would like you to build one for me, but i will not be able to pick it up until right before x-mas, you see i am on the uss john f kennedy out here in the arabian gulf, i saw the mock-up that you did on the intake last sept. hybrid-z event and i wanted one then and i still want one of those intakes that you made so if you can here is my e-mail address

enriqujc@kennedy.navy.mil thanx for your time

if that intake does not sell could you please hold it for me thanx jaymar

Guest 2slo4u

I think stock manifolds look better for flow. All those sharp corners where the tubes meet the box can't be too good. Maybe I'm just imaging things. :shock:

81zxturbo

95slobaru impreza

I think stock manifolds look better for flow. All those sharp corners where the tubes meet the box can't be too good. Maybe I'm just imaging things. :shock:

81zxturbo

95slobaru impreza

Uh yes you are totally imagining things.. I believe the intakes have been bench flowed at great gains over the stockers. I have seen them in person and the quality is out of this world.

The intake has been sold and I will not be making more. Pain in the rear with little monetary reward for $300. I did it mainly to help out some Z folks with aftermarket support. It did not have air hons, but it still out flows the stock manifold and it out flowed a fully modified N42 intake manifold. It sucks when folks tell me it is not worth $300. So my response is go and have Hogan's make you at custom intake for $1300.

Guest 2slo4u

Wish someone would make one with six equal length runners up to the throttle body like a lot of four bangers are nowadays. That would seem to work really well. I haven't had experience with modified intake manifolds yet though, so don't know much about them obviously.

81zxturbo

95slobaru impreza

I haven't had experience with modified intake manifolds yet though, so don't know much about them obviously.

Yes it is quite obvious actually... which is probably a good indication that you don't have much to add to this thread. Unless you have a question, some statement of fact, or something remotely technical to add to the thread then 'pipe down'.

Guest 2slo4u

:oops: Which is why I'm enquiring about the six equal length intake runner manifold... I've never seen one for the 280 engiines and it seems someone would have built one by now. I've seen lots of four bangers come into our shop with this type of intake.(not hondas) And they all had great horsepower with stock intake manifolds. Kinda looks like the aftermarket equal length exhaust headers for the z's. Does anyone know if it's been done or being researched? If I had the $ I'd attempt it.

81zxturbo

95slobaru impreza

Guest Cronic

If you ever decide to make another one of these, I would love to buy one. PM me if you get the fabricator bug again. And 300 bucks is a freakin steal.

Jeff

Since the last one hs been produced, This is all academic now, but....

I got the first one of these manifolds for beta testing, and produced the data that is graphed on James' website and is referenced in the ebay ad. (Did any of you doubters look at those graphs?)

We saw a .5 AFR increase (as measured on a wideband O2 meter) in the mid-high boost areas by substituting this manifold for a radically welded up/ported N42 intake, with no other changes to the setup. This is conservatively estimated to be worth 35-40 hp in a stout turbo setup with tuning to compensate for the extra flow.

Looking at the squarish design with no internal horns, even James didn't know what to expect for performance - but the significantly larger ID'ed and shorter length runners, with the larger plenum, did give a major improvement. Appearance isn't always a good way to evaluate function, especially when you're working with airflow. But you can't argue with hard data.

This intake is the cheapest 40 hp I've gotten. And the bling factor is off the scale. James, You da man.

As far as airflow is concerned I can see where the gains have been made.

1) Intake runners - not just the length difference, but the constant diameter and straight path would give big benefits to ultimate flow.

2) TB mouting - mounting on an angle certainly helps with the airflow distribution. Cylinder 1 on a stock manifold doesn't get as much air as cylinder 3, etc.

3) Plenum construction - Smooth flat walls inside as opposed to a rough, and very uneven surface with stock. (consider all the extra casting protruding into the plenum on a stock job... 1 large bump for every threaded recess) Big gains here.

4) Plenum Volume - While I don't know the actual plenum volume of James manifold in particular, I would expect the volume to be larger than stock, which will generally correspond with a higher resonance frequency and therefore the potential for a higher VE in the upper RPMs.

40hp is still quite impressive in my opinion! :shock: I'd not have guessed it to have that serious an improvement over stock.

James, if you do decide to build a few more count me in. I should have kept the one I did buy, but since I had planned on doing the supercharger I didn't think I would need it so I sold it. Now another Z is on the horizon and that intake would have been nice.

John

Guest Phailure
:cry::cry: Wow' date=' I started to feel bad about not making more intake manifolds :cry::cry:

And then I got over it :-D[/quote']

You should just give it alittle price bump and make more. From the looks of this thread... looks like there might still be a few takers?