HybridZ

guys need ideas for boost controller and boost timing...

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

hey guys as you know im building a very low budget L28ET 280Z... my blue Z.

everything is gonna go together this up coming few days so i need help on finding some parts..

i need a Boost controller and something like a MSD BTM... but both are big bucks.

any ideas? any deals?

again im short on cash...

im running a 82 L28ET with 77 ecu and harness. T3 60-1 Turbo, downpipe, exhaust, FMU, tuned AFM, ported/shaved N47 intake manifold, ported exhaust manifold, intake filter, bov, fmic, 370 injectors on a JSK fuel rail, and a few other goodies..

im thinking only MAYBE 10psi with out a way to retard timing, and maybe a tad more if i had unit..

so i think i should get both....

any help would be great..

Mike

Hey Mike,

I dont have any experiance with this ignition system:

(scroll down the page)

http://www.autospeed.com/shop/category_579/browse.html

but I have bought some of the Jaycar Do-It-Yourself kits before and have nothing but good remarks about thier stuff. this could be just what your looking for. (although it doesnt actually change timing under boost, I believe you can program that system to change the timing at certain RPMs, so It might be of some help. )

anywho.....

Guest ON3GO

hmm pretty cool..

would it be hard you think to make it work on the 77 harness?

im down for it cuz its like 160 bucks cheaper then the MSD!

mike

Are you going to use the 77 harness with the stock 77 dizzy? I would highly recomend going to the junkyard and buying a late ZX dizzy with the E12-80 module. you can eliminate a good deal of wires and crap from the 77 ignition system and it really makes setup, and trouble shooting so much easier.

I imagine (again I have no experiance with this setup, just somethign I bookmarked a long time ago.) that this system is easy to hook up, it says that it can work on points, reluctor, or electronic systems, so that pretty much covers anything that uses a distributer. Be aware though that these are sent in kit form, and you have to solder everything yourself. its not difficult, but it does take patients.

Guest ON3GO

hmm i could use the turbo dizzy i guess.

i just want to get this swap done as fast as i can.. i only have maybe 2 days to do it.

mike

you can only use the turbo dizzy if you have the turbo harness and ECU. are there are two different versions of the turbo dizzy to add to the frustration of piecing together a good system. its a tough swap to do on a budget, but it can be done. good luck with it EH! cant wait to hear the news that its up and running.

dont give up yet, Im wasnt saying that you cannot use the stock 77 dizzy, I was just recommending that you replace it while your at it. The stock dizzy should do fine for small amounts of boost, but I dont think I would use it for anything in the double digits, (or really even close for that matter) somebody else should chime in here as I have no experiance with the stock 280Z ignition, just my opinion that the 280ZX dizzy is a better choice, and the turbo harness and dizzy an even better choice.

you can always use the stock 77 stuff at first, but be cool on the boost knob, and listen for pennies rattling around in the cylinders. once you get that motor in, it shouldnt take more than an hour to drop in the ZX dizzy when you get, and it shouldnt take more than a saturday to drop in the zx turbo harness N stuff once you get it all together.

Yeah trust me I know about the bumper ordeal. I the ones off front and back of an 82 280zxt that was very rusty. Had to brake most of the bolts off. The one that didnt break stripped and the washers had to be bent to pull through the holes in the braces. Whats worse is I needed the braces which are welded to the frame!!! Lots of cursing a big gash in the leg etc and I got them off finally. Its sucks. Anyways...I have one of those ebay manual boost controllers. I accidently ordered two of them. ITs the exact same one in the link. 15.00 shipped its yours and I can send it tommorrow.

i need a Boost controller and something like a MSD BTM... but both are big bucks.

any ideas? any deals?

again im short on cash...

im thinking only MAYBE 10psi with out a way to retard timing' date=' and maybe a tad more if i had unit..

so i think i should get both....

any help would be great..

Mike[/quote']

New MSD boost retards are around $170 with out the 6A box. I'm running the one for stock ignition on my truck. You can find them on Ebay too. You wouldn't be doing yourself justice only running 10psi :D . Are you running an external wastegate?