HybridZ

Bigger turbo, only not "bigger"???

My turbo has started to make a odd sound and thus, I think it is time to upgrade. what turbo is a good upgrade for a basicly stock VG30 (Z31) my problem is that there in ZERO room under the hood for a physicly larger turbo. can anyone recomend a good upgrade for the stock .63A/R nissan piece? I would also like to go to a standard turbine outlet because my DP is starting to rust at the welds and needs to be replaced anyway.

Thanks for input in advance,

tom D

It's already a 60 trim. You will have to go physically bigger on the compressor side to get a larger wheel (T4). Someone on here said you can have the turbine housing machined, I think it was at Turbonetics to fit a larger wheel for $100 or you can use the more common Ford/Saab/Volvo style turbine with wastegate housing / down pipe. How much boost you are running makes a difference. If you are running 7 psi the stock T3 is fine.

Guest Cronic

You can use a machine a V trim compressor wheel in the stock housing, that and a rebuild will cost you around 425.00 or so. It's a turbo capable of around 420ish whp with MINIMAL lag. Prolly full spool around 3000 instead of 2500 like stock.

DISCLAIMER, WHP and LAG Estimates are just that, estimates.

No I don't think a To4b will fit I already have a .5" specer under the driver side motor mount, I also moved the power steering box south 1/4" and made my manifold with a 3/4" T3 flange.

What has to happen in order to use a V trim wheel? any good place to get it done in or around Maryland?

the current engine is getting a little long in the tooth (192k) and I would like to go with a fresh 3.3L S/C short block, 300ZXT lower intake (top feed injectors) and redone heads. I'd also like to turn it up to 15PSI(ish). It smokes when shifting and is starting to smell like oil alot more than I like. and the turbo has started to sounds like all hell is about to break loose. (hard, loud constant rush of air sound under load folowed buy loss of boost)

4557.jpg

My biggest clearance issue is the rag joint on the steering shaft and the snout on the P/S box. If looking straight at the comp. side if the turbo it is about 1/4" off to the south side.

well, we fit the t3/t04b in an 86 300zxt with a 88 engine in it. maybe they have different steering setups? no clue, but i do know it fits on this one. we put a single washer under the motor mount and the bolt barely screws on, but thats ok :P

sorry if im not much help tho

turbo.jpg

^^ turbo stats lol =P

-jon

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

I do TO4B rebuild upgrades for $450.00. I would recomend if you want to get tricky a V trim compressor wheel with a stage 5 exhaust wheel in a .82 exhaust housing would yeild more exhaust flow. Whats your turbo budget look like. You would need to buy a new wastegate housing and make a down pipe. Good luck.