HybridZ

T5 to late LT1

I have a chance to buy a complete T5 including clutch assembly w/slave, flywheel etc. I am trying to locate a late LT1 engine and want to be sure there is no "gotchas" in the boltup. Please don't chide me about not using a T56. Budget and wee back tires took care of that decision. Anyone in Houston area have lead on good low miles complete LT1? john

Guest notacop

I dunno about houston but you can get a high mile, perfect running iron head lt1 (iron heads flow better than the alum's because of their later casting date) for around 1000 and that includes the car and tranny. Just find the local surplus property auction.

The last one I was at I saw a 95 caprice with lt1 with a bad body and interior, but great running engine and tranny go for under 1200 bucks.

The caprice lt1 is rated at 260 hp, and 330 lb/ft, and comes with a 4l60e tranny.

For the price of it you can buy the car, pull the drivetrain, scrap the car and rebuild the engine for under $1500 total investment usually

To the best of my knowledge they bolt right up. I THINK you can run any one piece rear seal flywheel. (At least I hope you can...) I have an aluminum head LT1 for my convertible I'll run with a TH700, but I am contemplating the T5 I have behind my iron head LT1 for the Z. You can save big bucks because you can use a conventional clutch as well.

Originally posted by notacop:

(iron heads flow better than the alum's because of their later casting date

Yes, but they are lower compression and allow for less timing, and they barely outflow LT1s. 5 minutes per bowl will get them flowing better than Impy heads.

Appreciate the input so far, looking forward to more. The reason I am looking for an LT1 is I can get a ready to drop in engine, low miles etc. The T5 probably wasn't too awful common in the full size sedans. I do want aluminum heads for weight, not HP. The LT1 will get a little steeper cam and get dropped in. The T5 is light, compact and cheap. Even IF one cratered on me I can get another and kick myself for not using heavier, bulkier and more expensive T56. The wee tires should be the weak link and save the rest of the hard parts. My first Z swap was a warm 355 and 700R4 with had iron Dart heads and a too mild cam. It ran an Erson that was only marginally more radical than a 350/350 HP. Always wanted more cam because the light body certainly doesn't need a lot of low end grunt. I have noted somewhere that the 305 TPI flywheel is lighter than most and this would be my first choice on the LT1/T5 boltup if it'll work. Thanks for the lead on LT1 locally, can use more. john

The link above from Lone Star 1 is very informative if anyone would like to look. Has lots of LT1/LS1 info. Nice looking Z with LS1 is pictured in project car section. There are a number of apllications that use the 153 tooth, and the 305 is supposed to be lightest of them. Yes, it does stand to reason that a 153 is lighter than a 168 I suppose. I have e-mailed Mark at the above link and will let everyone know what service he provides if it is noteworthy one way or another. john

Guest Russ240z

John,

Glad to see someone else is considering the T5 / LT1 combo. I recently bought an LT1-Z that has the 4L60E. I prefer a manual trans and already have the T5. Here are some of my questions:

1. What computer changes are required?

2. What Autometer model number speedo and tach should I use?

3. If the engine is stock, can I get by with a stock clutch set-up? How much should I pay for a 305 flywheel?

4. I'm fairly sure the T-5 and 4L60E are the same overall length, but what about the trans mount location?

5. And last, what is a fair price to ask for the 4L60E if I sell it?

Sorry to throw out so many questions at once!

Thanks,

Russ smile.gif

Russ, does the term "blind leading the blind" ring a bell? I was tempted to respond via e-mail, but thought it might be better to give others a chance to add/subtract to my response to your questions.

1. There are at least 3-4 combinations of transmission outputs/computer requirements/speedo needs that you are dealing with. The JTR available book on TPI swapping does address the solutions in part for your specific combinations. It does advise, wisely, not to eliminate the VSS to your computer as it is needed for proper coast down etc. You can bypass with mixed results.

2. The major catalog speed merchants have pictures/dimensions on the electric speedos. I plan to swap both the tach (mine works..darn) and speedo to matching set..probably Autometer. This takes out the extra cost/complexity of having both mechanical and electronic outputs. Elsewhere in this list is info on that, fitting is no brainer I guess.

3. I have since learned the small 305 wheel works on the one piece seal engines ok. I plan to use the small clutch (10.5") and again plan to task my wee tires to be weak link. As for price, as little as possible for a good one is my immediate read on that question.

4. Got me here...IF it needs to be moved and you used the JTR style crossmember...maybe you will need a drill bit (you already have the rest) to move it a bit. Somebody here has that answer I am sure.

5. Price to expect for your transmission?...similar to reverse of above...as much as possible. Ebay is a possibility. I would sell it locally (no shipping) with no reserve price and hope for the best.

Hope this helps open up further discussion/reference for us both john

• 3 years later...

I got a LT1 out of a manual tranny car, and it came with the flywheel. I'm going to use a t5 for my swap, and I've seen in at least a dozen places that the 305 TPI flywheel will work with the LT1 and the T5 combination, but the question I have is can I use the LT1 flywheel with the T5?

Does any body know why I couldn't? I know I need to use the t5 clutch and slave cylinder since the t56 uses a pull type cylinder, but what about the flywheel? Will the t5 pressure plate bolt on and function?

And while I'm at it, who is using a hydraulic throw-out bearing, and was it easier than using the stock camaro clutch?

Thanks!

Jeff E.

Edit - After getting my hands on the t5 flywheel, the two are completely different thicknesses. No chance to use the t56 flywheel w/ the t5.