HybridZ

Question on diff/tranny ratio's/swaping from zx to z

datsunlover

First off, I did search, and I got some info from this site; http://zhome.com/ thanks to that search. Anyway, I have a 75 280z with a 4 gear (3.545 ratio acording to the chart) and I plan on swaping in a 5-speed and rear end from a 198? zx 2+2. From what I can see in the listings, (dont know exact year of my doner car, but either way, 80 2+2s had a 3.9, and 81-84 had a 3.9) it looks like a 3.9 rear end I'll be swaping in.

What I am wondering here, is this going to be a bad thing? IE; will I be slower on take off, but still buzzy on the highway? As it is now, the thing goes like a scared rabbit from a stop, but after 60mph it's just loud and gas hungry (3K rpm)... also my rear end is clunking/leaking, so a teardown is probly needed anyway.. Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I've been staring at ratios and numbers for a while here.. and Im just confused now..

you're going to be seeing the same acceleration (if not better) with the R200/5speed combination because the z has a 3.36 diff in it. (while the R200 is going to have a 3.9?) the big differences occur in the gearing in the tranny. the easiest way to get the conversion is by multiplying the individual gears in the tranny by the differential gear. the higher the number the more acceleration you're going to get (by sacrificing the top speed in that gear).

EDIT: or do THAT! you beat me to the punch!

Cool.. thats what I was thinking first.. but then I confused myself and thought that the 5 speed might 'slow' me down.. And yes, the 2nd to 3d is AWEFULL in my 4 gear Z. It actually drops too much (Im running 195/60/14s.. yah yah, I know too small.. it's all I got right now!) and you can feel a big drop in the rate of acceleration untill it gets back above 3500. Even if I wind 2nd to 6K rpm, it doesnt seam to help.. and just burns more gas :oops:

I just got back from the car (had to get a towwing co. friend of mine with an unlock kit) and verified that it is a 1981.. so I'm assuming it's got the 3.9 R200..

Oh ya..just currious.. this 5 speed will bolt right up to my engine right? I am assuming it will, but I dont like assuming.. makes an a$$ of....well, you know.