HybridZ

well i did up my valve cover too

philiow313

I like the way your valve cover came out and I also like the way WigenOut-S30's looks (BTW thats the same valve cover I have). I do have a concern though and that is that neither of you said anything about using a primer on the valve cover before painting. I can tell you from personal experiance that if you did a very good prep job but no primer the paint on the valve cover will last about 2 or 3 years then start to flake off, if any contaminants were left on the aluminum the paint will flake off sooner.

It is very important when painting aluminum that you use a compatable (with your paint) aluminum etching primer prior to painting. I was not a happy camper when my beautiful black wrinkle paint started to flake off my valve cover. I painted mine right this time but used a "hammered" paint instead of a wrinkle paint this time.

Dragonfly

Guest RCNSC

I painted my valve cover about a month ago. Used thermal engine paint (chevy engine orange) and used black for the letters. It looks good, but I think I am going with a different color.

This is another simple mod that really brightens up the engine bay. 10 dollar gasket and 5 dollar spray paint = quick touch up mod!

Ricky, if you use the good gaskets and not the cork ones, then you don't have to replace them every time you take the valve cover off. I've even taken to siliconing mine to the valve cover and putting a super thin layer of anti-seize on the head side so that it comes off easily. I've had the same gasket on there for probably 5 years now.

for the primer, i really dont care. this car is a fix and sell project, because im thinking of getting an s30 or 510 for my next car. i got this car for free, and it had some body damage, then the head gasket went. like i said, i got bored and just painted it.

if it flakes off, it flakes off. haha