HybridZ

Anybody ever try Advanced Auto's half shaft?

Poundz9oh9

I was browsing through Advanced Auto's online catalog via partsamerica.com and saw that they had the R200 halfshafts. New or rebuilt, for like $66 bucks a piece. Has anybody ever bought these? What are your thoughts on them? How complete did they come? (U-joints incl.?) I only ask because I'm getting to the rear end on my rebuild and the half shafts I have look a little rough and I'd like to get some freshened up ones.

They are very good for the price and have a lfetime warantee, but you really want to add some extra grease to them. Thats the one thing i didnt like about em. They dont put a lot of grease in most of them. I dont see that many come back unless they race em a lot or they were defective out the box. Oh, yeah... I work at Advance.

Guest 2slo4u

I've got two on my subaru from advance. They've got lifetime warranty but I've had to change both already (I guess a year is not too bad) because of one clicking and the other vibrating. And for some magical reason they can't seem to keep my name in the computer. Some other guy was using my phone number years ago when they first popped up over here and they keep "misplacing" the list of stuff I've bought from them. Other than that I like their prices and other products.

81zxturbo

95slobaru impreza

• 1 year later...

What else do you need to fix on your halfshafts Zerrari? Are you going to change out the little balls and plastic spacers inside the shaft? If you've got one that is that bad off just replace it. You can always repack the grease if you so choose without replacing any parts, but if you need to replace the balls then the part of the shaft that they ride on is likely toast as well.

One of the halfshafts is binding when you extend and compress it.

I'm doing a fairly mild V8/T5 combo so I figured halfshafts with good U-joints would be ok but I wanted to be sure they were as stout as they could be. A guy with a V8 Z around here had one let go on him and it really tore the underside of his car up.

I'd suggest that you should probably just replace it.

The halfshaft is actually kinda like a CV joint when you take it apart. There are 12 balls that ride in grooves in the inner and outer parts of the shafts. If it doesn't move freely then I'm guessing the grooves or the balls or both are damaged.

I suppose you could pull it apart and inspect the insides if you wanted to be sure. I pulled this one apart with the intention of shortening it, but never got around to putting it back together because I decided to go CVs instead. Apparently they are a bitch to get back together, although honestly it looked pretty simple to me. This one went in the trash...

halfshaft.jpg