HybridZ

Anyone here know about a 1983 starlet?

fl327

Working on picking one up in the next week or so. Im a big fan of the power hatchback, and love rwd. I had a 71 toyota corolla a while back and I miss driving it, looking to do something that rides a little better but has that twin cam bog! Ive been looking online but it seems that we are indeed spoiled with the wealth of information on this site, because when I go to other sites I get annoyed with the lack of knowledge and the dummy flame wars- I got very little info from the toyota sites is what I mean. I know a few of you guys here have some toyota background, and I was looking at dropping a 4age five speed into this car for kicks. Either that or possibly that 20v initial D motor. Ive priced out either option and Im figuring abotu 1000.00(20v engines are going for 650!) plus the small trips to the store for parts and I should be able to turn the key. Not trying to rule the world with this one, I have a Z for that :twisted:

Thanx guys. Hopefully someone knows where I can get a xmember or conversion parts for this one, im still pretty new to toyota stuff, and want to try something new for a sub project while the z gets its body done up..

I know the rotary swap is tried and true, but im an avid fan of not using rotary motors, call it an irrational fear and resentment I guess. Also interested in possibly doing a 3tc/2tc buildup which Ive had a hard time getting info on as well.

I like those startlets, if it were mine I think I would throw a 4age in it but, if the 20v motors go cheap I would consider that, I dont know much about the japanese motors, but toyotas are one of my side interests along with every other 70-80s import car. But yeah, I say go for it would make for a nice daily driver/ mini hot rod. Those 4age motors make it feel like ur going fast when ur not, neat motor.

Good luck and have fun with it,

John

Well I am a HUGE Toyota guy and since I could drive I have always owned a RWD 2door Toyota...

My favorite is the '85-'87 Corolla GT-S (AE86) and yes the 4AG is a great engine back in the day and even now in the last 20V variation.

I strongly recommend going the route of the 4AGZE which is the 165hp supercharged version (stock is 8psi) or the 20V like you mentioned. The 20V is rated at 160hp-165hp depending on if you get the earlier AFM silver top or the later black top which is MAP.

The ones you have seen for $650 are the early Silver Top models, which are awesome engines and have slightly larger stronger rods than the later black tops.

I have done the Supercharged conversion in previously owned AE86s and I now have a 20V Turbo, which I believe is one of the only ones in U.S. I am supposed to have a full magazine feature on this car hopefully soon. The power potential of the Turbo 20V is incredible, I pulled 217whp at 7psi from a 1.6L - not too shabby. I am looking for 300whp as a final goal.

Turbocharging the 16V 4AG will also yield fantastic benefits, as these engines take very well to force induction...but this is Hybridz...you knew that.

I recommend looking online at club4ag.com for good Toyota Tech talk on the 4AG or doing a search in google for "KP61" as that is the more common name for the Starlet. Also check http://www.dorikaze.com, and http://www.twincams.org

here is my little 2year project:

58786425.jpg

58786422.jpg

58786411.jpg

58830138.jpg

Good luck and let us know how your new project prgresses. Feel free to ask me any questions, as I have been messing with 4AGs for almost 10years now.

Regards - Yasin

Thanks John! Much appreciated.

Yes the headlight covers are carbon fiber, I was very fortunate to get some super rare parts for this car from a friend who was in Japan.

Is the car quick? Well lets just say that it has no problem keeping up with traffic or maintaining its speed. :wink:

Regards - Yasin

I am a old school toyota fan as well. Had a ae86, ae85, supercharged mr2 and have been playing with a 76 ke35 for over 15 years now. Its set up for circut racing and runs a 2tg. Its in it 4th or 5th transformation now. About 10 inchs wider then stock, front mid engined , not much of the corolla left really. I think you should be able to almost swap the 2t, 3t straight in. It depends on what engine came in the starlets in the states. The a series engine will nedd a little work on the mounts. I saw one once that had a kind of set back plate that seemed to work. If i were doing it again i would grab a engine from an altessa. It might be a import on your side of the world. 3sg 210bhp and a six speed box straight from the factory.

Douglas

Guest bastaad525

Also an old toyota fan here. I also had an early '70's celica... the ones that look just like miniturized 60's-early 70's mustangs... I had the notchback one but always lusted after the fast back one... if I ever got one I'd put some Mach 1 badges on it :D

I put the 22R motor in it and it felt VERY quick... I miss that car a lot, got rid of it when I got my ZX, had already owned one Z before and was just waiting for another one to come along... I was pretty smitten by the first one. Sold it to my uncle's G/F who promptly wrecked it :x

I've always wanted a starlet... think I've only ever seen two or three of them around, awesome cars with tons of options for performance.

Thanx for the input guys. Old school toyotas kick butt, its what you really want in a small car, RWD! Yasin thats a crazy setup, dont know how you have time for two turbo cars like that. I had a 85 mr2 with the 4ag and loved the twin cam induction noise, but yes it felt like it was going nowhere, but furious to do so! Had a 2tc in my 71 and it was pretty slow too, but I had low profile 13s on it and it would scratch second from any rpm or speed in first, high school kids were appreciating that one intensely! 22r is a workhorse engine thats for sure, but they go for as much as a 4ag or a 20v engine. 20v is 165hp stock? Figure that starlet cant weight more than 2000 with a driver, I cant see how except maybe the bumpers.

http://www.venus-auto.com/inventory/toyota/engine.htm

just checked them out, saw another option, a 3t-gte, first turbo option I saw.. The 20v is 600 w/0 a trans.

Thanks for the compliments bro!

Yes its really tough having two turbo cars, but thankfully the AE86 is mostely complete...mind you I had a thought of taking the 7AFE block out of the '90-'94 Corolla 4 door, which is a 1.8L and mating that to my 20V quad throttle body turbo set-up. I pick-up 200cc and lots of torque....things that make you go hmmmm...naturally a block like would cost bucccco $$$ - so its a dream for the time being! LOL, kind of crazy seeing that I just had my entire 20V rebuilt....projects I tell ya!

I would recommend staying away from the 3TGTE, as parts are near impossible to find now even in Japan. They do make great power, but they are the unusual 8plug 4cylinder head. I say stick with the 4AG and turbocharge it - you will be happy as the day is long...or go with a 20V 4AG (which is 165hp in its last configuration!).

Regards - Yasin

20v rebuild? Crazy man your nuts. I think im going to use a 16v 4ag for now to get the car rolling, using the stock efi and trans. Maybe after a while Ill try to run with that supercharged 4agze, 180hp or so is possible with a better intercooler and pulley swap right? That would run tough in that little hatchbacl. If I start going toyota crazy Id like to get a ae86 lsd disc axle in the back, Ive snapped the older toyota axles with a 2tc... :roll: Anyone ever thought about L28et into a 79 rx7?

So did you pick it up already? If you want to talk to some toyota guys theres a shop around the corner from my place that does toyota motor swaps. Whats the status on the Z? I'm smelling a LS-1 swap in the works :wink:

Sniff Sniff, Hmmmmm 8)

Z runs and Ive been driving it, but Im really just trying to get the body straightened up and get my proper rice body mods going.