HybridZ

Engine bay before pic. after pic in next post

Guest 305240

Guest 305240

Check the post by 78alt1 titled "lil help needed, front body measurements" in the suspension section. One front frame horn and header panel was cut off before I got the car. Rather than cut out all the spot welds, I opted to cut the other frame horn off and replaced it with the whole nose piece 0ff a 75 280. I've already done the trial fit and the fenders are bolted, as well as the hood to the replacement header panel. When I get my engine detailed and set back in, I'll put the front clip back on and weld it where it needs to go. I'm getting pretty excited, but the wife has sort of taken up complaining about how much I've been spending on ebay for parts. Gotta love her tho, she won't give up her 86 300ZX coupe for anything. Can't really blame her. It's almost mint.

I'm keeping a running total of the cost of this total rebuild, along with step by step pics. Total so far, which includes the car, engine, and other goodies I've purchased is still under 650.00. Ebay rocks!

Guest 305240

It's got to be the camera angle because I set it up with a level. I made sure it was level when I set the engine in. I used a plum bob, yardstick, and lazer level as well as a 2' level. The body was leveled side to side as well as front to back. The carb sets level both ways when the engine is setting in it. It took me almost a half day to get it set up. I sure didn't want it to look crooked and jury rigged!

I'm working on a gravel parking area. I leveled that also. You can bet the concrete I pour later on will be level too! those rocks hurt when these old bones lay on them.

Guest 305240

The media I got from the local gravel pit. It was their plaster mix. About the finest they had. It was free for 2, 5 gallon buckets. Be prepared to get dirty as it all seens to come right back at ya!

The primer is the rust killer that NAPA sells. The bottle isn't too big, but I think there is enough to do your whole front end. It's a milky white acid/primer that stops rust. They told me it's the only one they sell.

The Hammerite paint is the Ace hardware brand. Don't confuse it with the rustoleum brand. The black actually looks like a dark metalic charcoal. Pretty neat if you ask me. It also has something to do with stoping rust.

The underside, I hit it with rubberized undercoating after I got rid of all the slight surface rust spots.

It should be noted: When I speak of rust, it's not the deep rust, just slght surface rust that can probably be taken off with sandpaper. I do have some minor rust thru spots, but not large ones. Those issues have already been taken care of. Nothing on any part of anything structual, thank God! Except the upper rear valance. That had about a dozen small rust thru spots on it because the hatch was left open a crack. I cut the whole piece out of the 75 to replace it with. Much easier and will look better.

Guest 305240

Thanks guys. Everyone can use a pat on the back every now and again. It helps keep the interest going. Not to mention the pride in doing the work yourself and showing it off. More to come soon!