HybridZ

Cam choice help

Any advice on how to select a cam? I have a pretty much stock 70's V8, headers, Edlebrock intake, Edlebrock 650 cfm carb, stock heads.

Not looking for anything real wild just a little bit more than stock. Car is used at the 1/4 mile track on occasion.

thanks

Depends on what the heads are set up for and what lift they can handle. There are alot of variables to look at. Do you know what springs you have. Seat pressure? etc..

If they are stock then maybe find out what cam was used in the stock application and just go a step or two over stock..small torque cam!

Mike

Guest 77vegasz

As a rule of thumb, stock Chevy heads can handle up to .450 lift without a problem. Look at your real usage of the car, and the rpm range driven the most. Keep you tourqe curve in that rpm range, and you will be very happy.

Do not get carried away chasing horse power on a daily street driven car. High lift and high hp cams make power up in the rpm range that you will not be in. Look for a cam that has a power band 1500-4500 rpm and that will be you best bet for street.

Jon

No info on your compression ratio, diff gear, or transmission used. But this is some general guide lines

I like the CompCam 260. Works great on stock engines (low cr, weak valve springs, and stock converters). Plus improves highway MPG.

A comp 268 is a little bigger but would required new valve springs and a 2200 stall converter if an automatic is used. And will run best with 9:1 cr.

Mike C

What is it with Z's and old chevy trucks! I have noticed a lot of Z owners also have the 67 to 72 chevy trucks like you. The Z and the 67 to 72 chevy truck have something in common, somehow.....?

I also have a 70 chevy C10 LWB, built 410 BBC, TH400, AC, PS, PB, front disk brakes, 5 lug conversion, 3.08 limited slip diff, 4" front and 6" back lowered body.

Sorry for the thread hijack...

It is a 1970 GMC C2500. It is medium bronze with a white top. Original paint. Big block 402, TH400, factory air, power steering, power brakes. Disc conversion. Crower 270 cam. Proform HEI, JET Stage II 750 Q-jet. It has a leaf spring Dana 60 in the rear with 3.54 gears. 2 1/2" aluminized dual exhausts. It has a pullout Alpine tape deck with 6 disc changer, crossfire 4x100 running kicker separates and a 10" sub, all under the front seat. Full foam seat with orignal upholstery. Unripped! Rubber bed mat, Drawtite Class IV receiver hitch. Electric brake controller. ProComp ES3000 shocks. Original step bumper. 16x7" American Racing wagon wheels, 265 75 16 radials. Truck runs great. Gets 13mpg in daily driving. I bought this planning on keeping it forever, but with 3+ the dog now, I caved in to the extended cab thing. 138k original miles. The onlyu thing it really needs is a drivers rocker and a set of valve seals wouldn't hurt. Here's a pic. Shoot me an email and I can send you some more. I'm pretty firm at $4500. The Alcoas and the toolbox in the photo both are destined for my '02 GMC.

70ds.jpg