HybridZ

GMC 4.2L Inline 6

Guest jwelch

Guest jwelch

I've been doing some research on the new GMC inline 6. Looks interesting.

Has anyone considered this swap yet? I'm trying to get measurements on the engine.

Rated at 270HP@6000RPM and 275Ft/lb@3600 I believe.

It would probably be expensive but the power to weight ration must be nice.

Any thoughts? 2thumbs.gif

Regards,

Guest MegaShaft_2000

Don't forget that the weight of the engine is only a small percentage of the overall car's weight.

If you had an engine that weighed 300 lbs and made 250 hp, and an engine that weighed 600 lbs and made 500 hp, the bigger engine would still be the best bet. Let's say the chassis weighs 2000 lbs, you can either have a car that weighs 2300 lbs and has 250 hp, or a 2600 lb car that has 500 hp. I'm sure you know which one will be faster.

Besides, inline 6's are usually heavy compared to V6's.

Guest VETTETEK

The 4.2 GM engine is a HEAVY SOB though! I just had to rebuild one with 26000 miles on it due to the pistons making noise (excessive carbon buildup causing premature skirt wear). GM is having this problem with ls1s too.

The problem with this engine is that its very tall too and might not fit in the datsun without a BIG scoop...

Jeff :(

Yes, someone mentioned the variable valve timing on this site but I can't find the thread. Here is one from Chevy directly (for the trailblazer engine)

http://www.chevrolet.com/trailblazer/popup/engine/valve_timing.htm

Also found this thread:

http://www.hybridz.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000236#000001

so sounds like automatic only.

Guest VETTETEK

The VVT on the 4.2 is a real simple concept. It utilizes oil pressure controlled by a solinoid via the PCM to move a spool valve in or out...the inside of the spool valve has a "spiral cut" inside of it that "twists" the cam to give the VVT. I hope that explains it enough...im not to good translating GMs technical terms.

I just had one of these engines down to the block recently. Its a pretty good design, just bulky. Plus the front differential is integral with the oil pan (4wd models). It uses alot of the same technology as the LS1/Ls6 family of engines....1 coil per cylinder, crank driven oil punp, composite intake, aluminum block and heads.

They had problems with the first production run of the engines .....the cast sleeves would litterally "fall out" about a 1/2 inch down, causing the rings to expand over it, and ripping the tops of the pistons off!!!....Quite cool!

Jeff eek2.gifeek2.gif