HybridZ

Best Fitting, Best Looking, Best Performing Cooling Fan?

What mounts, performs, and looks the best with a stock Datsun Radiator. I have a SBC 327, 350-400 HP. I had the original Z rad made to 4 core, so it fits in the original mounting holes. I have a Black Magic 150 Flex-A-Lite fan, but it's too tall, and the mounts supplied look cheesy with the dial rods and all. The set-up works, but isn't pretty. What other fans are you guys using, that mount easy and work best?

Look at the fans & shroud used on the '98-02 Firebirds & Camaros. Almost a perfect fit to the S30 Datsun radiator. Mine also maintains a solid needle width past straight down with both fans opperational and about two needle widths below hot with only one fan - in HOT Texas weather with the AC on full bore.

Just got those fans in the mail the other day. Look like they'll do the trick. It's not like it really gets that hot here in Oregon, but must stand up to some trips to SoCal. Since it works for Phantom, I'm sure it'll work for me. Picked up mine for $75.

• 9 months later...

JTR recommends the 150, but it looked to me like there must be something that could work better, cover the radiator more, and so I bought the Flex-a-lite 180 expecting to hack away at it.

Summit (FLX-180)

To my pleasant surprise, with just the two C-shaped brackets, some 1/4-20 Nutserts and a couple drills I installed the thing to the JTR kit Radiator brackets and the stealth conversions radiator and it is so beautiful it looks like I spent a mint to get it perfect, but only took 2 hours.

It's like they designed it to fit perfectly. Well, it's a little resistance to actually get it between the top and bottom bracket of the JTR mounts, but only by a slight bit then by just adding another couple sets of holes in the C-brackets supplied by Flex-a-lite on their 180 universal kit, it just works beautifully. I can't post pictures because I suck at internet stuff and don't have a website to post to, but if you PM me with an email address I will email you the pictures of the setup it's damn sweet.

Feels good to have a success story at least every once in a while. I highly recommend this product. Wow. :-D

It covers 99%+ of the radiator, seals to the aluminum side rails of the radiator and top and bottom brackets with the JTR radiator kit and just gives you enough space to put your rad hoses on. IT even has a glass reinforced cowl that drills well, and is good enough to mount the electronics to. Hookup is simple; One lead wire (I’m using the Black-White which used to go to the old alternator regulator which seems to turn on when the key is on the on position, and off when it's off or on Acc.) one positive straight from the bat with a provided 30A fuse and wire that is long enough to make it round the front of the radiator in the spaghetti of wires there, and a ground wire that I ran to the alternator grounding point.

This is the true joy of a Hybrid Z ownership. I'm not sure if it could be used for the stock engine though the cowl is pretty deep, but for the 350 Chevy with a long pump it's awesome like 4-5" in the vast between the engine and the fan. Which means it might even work for Scarab setup. That's enough.

Here Is A Better Option ThaN The Taurus Fan.... The New Black Magic 180 Extreme. 3300 Cfm At Only 18 Amps.

The Shroud Should Fit With Little To No Trimming Depending On The Radiator You Have.

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&part=FLX%2D180&FROM=MG

May flow a bit more and looks like a nice unit, but:

$269.00 compared to ~$25.00, taurus fan still wins......

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

Thats True... And Even A Brand New Taurus Fan Is Like $140. But If You Got The Cash And Want A Good Fan There Ya Go.

That Looks awsome.

But the 180 fan pulls more CFM that's one of the main reasons why I got it it was the highest pulling fan I could find, what's $200 difference when you're talkin thousands+ for the swap. I also personally like everything I add to be new, and then I'd only save $80 right? Chicken feed! ;)

The Taurus fan is probably a great fan though they had V8's right?

That Looks awsome.

But the 180 fan pulls more CFM that's one of the main reasons why I got it it was the highest pulling fan I could find' date=' what's $200 difference when you're talkin thousands+ for the swap. I also personally like everything I add to be new, and then I'd only save $80 right? Chicken feed! ;)

The Taurus fan is probably a great fan though they had V8's right?[/quote']

So you are saying you would rather spend 10 times more to get added cooling power you will never need?

Permacool High performance electric fans. Both their 14" and 16" ones pull 2950 cfm. Granted, they don't have a shroud, but if you can weld (or have access to a welder), then one can be made. The 14" fan is the one I have for a my Honda. I'm going to make some brackets and shroud, because I don't want to fork over $150 for both and then have "fix" them to make it work. They also don't come with their own thermostat, so something has to be made up. You can get kits for that too. Anywho...just an idea.

Edit...Here's the link to their website:

http://www.permacool.com/Catalog/Cat_page16.html

16" fan: http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=Permacool&x=0&y=0&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&searchinresults=false&N=0&target=egnsearch.asp

14" fan: http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=Permacool&x=0&y=0&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&searchinresults=false&N=0&target=egnsearch.asp

Guest 305240

I'm using the stock 280 rad with the stock shroud. I trimmed a Taurus 2 speed fan down and set it inside the shroud. Then bolted it to the shroud. Part of the blades stick out of the shroud like it's recommended in the JTR manual. The neat thing about this is ALL of the air going thru the rad is being pulled by the fan. It leaves a very clean and professional looking system. It works great.

I'm with tim on this one. I have the taurus fan and when I run the a/c the car actually runs cooler, that's because I run 2 relays, one for low speed and high speed when the a/c is on. I've run it on 93 to 94 degree days and the temps stay at 180 tro 185. So for the sum of 80 clams(25 for the fan 50 for the thermostat and 2 relays) It's really hard to beat the taurus route.

I'm using the stock 280 rad with the stock shroud. I trimmed a Taurus 2 speed fan down and set it inside the shroud. Then bolted it to the shroud...It works great.

Hmmm, that's a pretty god idea. I have the Taurus fan, but I never thought of swapping shrouds...doh! :bonk:

Davy