HybridZ

Help Needed anybody with skill want to make a few bux?

383 240z

I need somebody who KNOWS how to do custom FRP work. I'm looking for a carbon fiber taillight surround for my 73 240. I do have a set of perfect tins here that can be used as molds I have been practicing on a slightly damaged set but cant work up the nerve to risk damaging this set. I'm not looking for ultra light weight, just a good looking rear finisher panel. I will need it to be held in OEM style and accept stock lamp housings. This car is by no means a beauty queen but I would like one truly custom touch. Keith

I'll be working on my car all weekend. I'll pull my trim pieces and see how easy they would be to duplicate. IIRC (since I haven't REALLY looked too hard at them in the past) the rings have some tight corners. Might be a good candidate for vacuum bagging. On such a tight part, though, I would imagine it would be hard to get the weave to line up and looking good (assuming the part wasn't painted).

Now for my ignorance... are the rings screwed in or are they held in place with tabs?

If you are talking about the small chrome trim rings around the lamp housings the are crimped in place. I pulled them off the test part very easy as I did not plan on reusing them at any point. I am willing to do the same to the perfect set I have as I am dechroming the car anyway. I think that the best approach is to set the side pans and the plinth holder together and do this as an entire assy. I can send you some good digi pics if you want. Keith

I can send you some good digi pics if you want

Please do! I think I was misunderstanding what you were initially discussing. When you said 'taillight surround' I was thinking about the trim rings. I now believe you are talking about the entire taillight panel (because I re-read your first post). My brain is operating as if it was Friday. :D

I don't imagine that you could get that panel much lighter with an FRP setup (well...definately not with E or S-glass). If you used only a few layers of CF (plus and minus 45 degree orientation of weaves), and wet the layup out carefully (not too much, not too little :P) you could probably get it fairly light weight. You did say, however, that weight was not an issue. Am I correct in assuming that you will not be painting this piece?

Keith

Hell No I'm not going to paint it!! :D Like I said I just want to have something a bit different. The car is being treated to a flat black paint job with an anthricite grill and I am shaving the rain gutters putting clear lenses in the front black interior and limo tint windows and Mustang Bullitt wheels I think a little nice CF would set the rear of the car off very nice! I'll see about those pics ASAP I wont be able to post them for a few days though. any shots you need in particular? Keith

Are still looking for a guy to do some custom carbon fiber for the tail section of your car???Let me know..I know of a guy that is set up for it.I will hook you up directly with him.He does bad ass work...I can show you pics of his work in interested....

I need somebody who KNOWS how to do custom FRP work. I'm looking for a carbon fiber taillight surround for my 73 240. I do have a set of perfect tins here that can be used as molds I have been practicing on a slightly damaged set but cant work up the nerve to risk damaging this set. I'm not looking for ultra light weight, just a good looking rear finisher panel. I will need it to be held in OEM style and accept stock lamp housings. This car is by no means a beauty queen but I would like one truly custom touch. Keith

I was told that the 240 panel will only work on a 240.I wanted to get a carbon fiber panel also.It wasnt on the top of my list because i just got my panel powercoated silver with a lite flake in it.This guy is capable to do that kind of work.I dont think it's cheap...buy I know it would be one off,that's for sure.

I would like to get the rear light panel on my Z in carbon fiber, would look good I reckon. But would the 240z light panel be the same as the 260z 2+2's?