HybridZ

VQ35DE 240z

VQ240Z

I just bought a vq35de from a 350z complete with a six speed transmission, ecu, wire harness, and driveshaft... My plan is to drop it in my 72' 240z, but i just had shoulder surgery 2 days ago so its gonna be a few weeks. I just took some VERY rough measurements of the engine:

height = ~25 in

width = ~25in

and depth = ~25in

engine and tranny = ~60in

shifter to engine = ~35in

although i havent had a chance to measure the engine bay of the car yet, im pretty confident that the engine is going to fit...

Two of my major concerns:

1. the oil pan is a front sump and it is most likely going to interfere with the crossmember. not sure what im goin to do about that yet??

2. since i havent measured my engine bay yet...i fear that the steering column might interfere with the exhaust manifold...hopefully not!!!

Over the next couple of days ill try to post some pictures of the engine! any input would be appreciated...

Thanks!!!

We set one in a 240. You can get the pan behind the cross member but the4 left head will be right up against the firewall. We also sat it on the cross member but it is a little tall for that. Making a new cross member clearance for the oil pan would be best. Those are light motors. 2 of us picked it up and got it in there with out a lift :D , can't do that with an L. It didn't have manifolds though.

Heres the PHOTOS!!! only about 8000km's

MY JDM FAIRLADY Z33 ENGINE - (notice the carbon fiber driveshaft :D)

does anyone know if the fairlady z33 comes with more power than the US 350z??? its like that alot with japanese engines...

833a.jpg?phpSXOBBJjDun7qq

161a.jpg?phpSXOBBWRiO10LI

If you cant see the pictures go to this webpage...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/boarderfoo/album?.dir=ac66&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/boarderfoo/my_photos

Guest bastaad525

Actually in a lot of the big power japanese cars the US counterparts actually ended up having more power. There's some kind of rule/law in japan that a production car can not have more than 276ps at the flywheel. Therefore many cars, like the Supra TT, 300ZX TT, 3000GT and RX7 ended up having more powerful motors in their US versions. So the US spec 350z engine (rated for 287hp), in theory, SHOULD be higher HP than the japanese counterpart. Then again, it's a well known fact that many japanese engines are underrated by the manufacturers. I'd bet money the jap and US 350z engines were pretty much the same, power wise.

First off, the engine came from Signal Auto in Torrance, Ca. They pulled it bone stock from their D1 Z33 Drift Car and replaced it with their own SR20DET. So i guess the engines background is pretty cool. As for the cost of the engine, im just gonna say we got it for an incredible deal. lol... Originally I was going to put an RB or an SR but for some reason this swap just seemed more interesting. Though I realllllllllly like turbos, i can always add 1 or 2 later. :wink: What do you guys think?

I start school tomorrow and my shoulder is getting better, i ordered a service manual for a 350z so im gonna start working on the swap everyday after school.

heres some pics of My car though it was really dirty and the camera sucked...lol... Some of the pics are before i had my suspension.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/boarderfoo/album?.dir=dca5&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys i need some help... I think im gonna go with a standalone ecu but im not sure which one. I like the sound of the HKS FCON V PRO for 2 reasons. 1. Its compatible with drive-by-wire 2. HKS Japan makes a harness adapter for the z33. On the other hand i could go with TEC3 or Haltech but i believe id have to change to a standard throttle body and some other modifications. Anyone have any experience with the FCON?

THANKS!