HybridZ

Installing Window Seals

Guest butlersZ

Guest butlersZ

Hey Guys,

I'm sure this has been discussed before. I was wondering how hard it is to install a windshield and rear hatch glass in the Z using new seals? I was wanting to order a seal kit and replace them all, but two seals (hatch,windshield) I don't feel confident enough to install myself. How hard is it to do? Has anyone here done it before? Would it be easier to just take it to a shop and would it be worth it? The glass leaks at the bases of each bottom corner, both front and back windshields :cry:

Any info would be much appreciated,thanks.

I recently ordered the OEM windsheild gasket and whatever VB sells for the hatch. I wanted to try to install it myself since I've done everything else on this car and that's the way I am. But it's looking like I'll have someone install it for me. One problem is, when you start working one side of the glass in, the other gasket on the opposite side comes off.

Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing (well, I don't :P) and someone can give good instructions.

Guest butlersZ

Yeah, I really want to install them myself or with the help of a friend but I'm waiting for someone to chime in here and tell me it isn't as hard as it seems.

The hard part about replacing those seals is not the actual installing of the gasket its getting the glass off the car with out cracking it. I have seen auto glass guys come to my work(dodge dealership....and we dont do windshields because it isnt really cost effective for us) and just from watching them do it, I can see how it would be a PITA for a guy who doesnt know what hes doing. To replace a windshield on say a Durango cost right around $275. Now thats for new glass, supplies, and the labor. Thats not too bad really.

Now if you already have the supplies and are reusing the glass, it cant cost too much for a professional to do it for you and then atleast you will know its done right and if it leaks they have to fix it! :D

Thats my $.02! :D

Guy

The guy's are correct, I helped a buddy replace a couple windshields in my younger days. He was an old country boy that ran a low budget garage and would tackle about anything for a buck. Think we broke about two windshields getting them out or back in. He would use piano wire to cut around the rubber, it worked but was a PITA. Luckily he had a couple more wrecked cars that had windshields so didn't cost him anything to replace them.

Adios Amigos,

I bought a windshield at a local glass shop for ~130 bucks. Crazy thing is he had it in stock. Pulled it from the very back corner and it was so thick in dust I thought it was wrapped in cardboard.

If you try it yourself, you can lay some small diameter rope in the pichweld groove of the weatherstrip and leave both ends hanging out at one corner. Have someone hold the glass (trim on) in place with a little pressure down. From underneath (in car), you can slowly pull the rope in and work the rubber under the pinchweld with a screwdriver or plastic spreader.

I've done some old Chevy's that way with success. I went a different route with my Z's windshield and hatch glass as i didn't like the bulky look and the chrome strip with the stock weatherstrip.

Hope this helps.

Guest butlersZ

I too don't like the bulky look of the seals,is or would it be possible to install some sort of flush mount seal? kinda like that of a camaro and such. I think I'll call around and see what my local glass shops are charging to do the install. I have seen guys install windshields using the rope technique, it doesn't seem too difficult but then again, in the hands of the unexperienced, uuugggghhhh.

I too would like to find a way to use a flush mount seal. Im sure it can be done but I would like to see some pics and hear some input. I think it would be slick to ditch the bulky seals with trim and if you were blacking everything out it would mean less to have coated.

I mounted my stock glass in the cars pinchweld using a urethane kit just as the new cars do. The glass extends over the metal just enough to get the kit to seal (~1/4" all around). Been driving that way for awhile and haven't tried to install universal glass rubber trim the glass shops keep in stock yet. I'm waiting to paint the car and do that last. I hope it looks ok when done. If it works, it'll be much sleeker than factory, nearly flush. The only thing i did in prep for the glass is radius both top corners to mimic the glass radius so the ribbon trim will reach the body when i make the turn. I'll have to do something different with the inside top trim as it used to wrap over the pinchweld and i had to remove it.

A lot of "while i'm at it I should ......" going on here.

If interested i'll take a pic and post how it looks along with a pick of the trim i'm gonna use.

Never done the front but the I've done the rear 4 or 5 times, experimenting with plexiglass, didn't like it...

If you're replacing the seals with new ones, just take a razor blade and cut the old ones out. One cut perpendicular to the seal, one cut under the seal (with the blade laying flat with the body), and one with the blade laying flat against the glass is all it takes. Step 3 may not be needed.

For the rear glass install, I used some ice-pick looking things I bought at Harbor Freight , I can't describe them you'll have to see for yourself. I also used a flat head screwdriver and carefully went all the way around.

Owen

Guest butlersZ

73TPIZ, please post a pic or two, very interested!!! I'm sure many others would like to see it as well. I'm doing some bodywork to one of my Z's and now would be the perfect time to do my seals. Perhaps the flush mount seal setup would add a little more aerodynamic efficiency to the Z. But I would like to know about this seal you used to install your windshield,cost,brand,quality,etc.

index.cfm?p=gi&i=9914&r=7092&t=reg

index.cfm?p=gi&i=9915&r=5617&t=reg

No leaks yet. Hopefully it'll be painted soon so i can try the trim. The problem with the universal weatherstripping they sell by the roll is it doesn't like 90deg corners, let alone the even sharper corners on the Z. Hopefully it won't get too outta shape to look good.

My 2000 Cherokee that i just had a windshield put in has pre molded trim that comes separate from the glass. Looks like the glass manu took ribbon trim and 45'd it at the corners, glued it together, and sold it as pre-molded. But it looks pretty good. I may go that route. If that works, radiusing the body at the corners may not be neccessary as the trim comes to a point at the corner and would fill the void. See what i mean.

index.cfm?p=gi&i=9916&r=8913&t=reg

It may be awhile before i get it done but i'll post here when i do.

take care

ButlerZ, almost forgot. You can buy the windshield installation kit at most auto supply houses (Advance, Napa, etc.). It comes round or rectangle cross section. I use rectangle normally.

3931_5564_full.jpg

My local glass guy says they're not allowed to use the ribbon kits anymore and they put all glasses in with only tube urethane. I used the kit and urethane to get the glass more flush with the body as the Z pinchweld is very deep. I don't know why the kits are still available if they're not legal. You may want to research that.

And Owen is exactly right. Just cut straight down the old trim where you think the edge of the glass is and it'll usually come right out.

Guest butlersZ

Damn, that doesn't look too bad. Definitely needs some trim though. I think I'll look into that. My local glass shops want on average of 225 to do the install, thats with me supplying the materials :shock:

It don't seem worth it to me so I think perhaps I'll try to tackle this one.