HybridZ

Serpentine belt

So the engine fit's ! 2thumbs.gif and now that it has sat on it mounts, I can't avoid my next head ache. bonk.gif

The engine is a 95 Camero LT1 and it came with power seering and AC and a tone of emission stuff.

I have already had to take the AC off to get the engine in, and I don't need the power steering so I'm looking for suggestions on getting a new serpentine belt setup.

I have yet to look carefuly but I assume that the hot rod crowd have solved this already for this engine ?

Who has a finished 95 Camero swap under their belt ?

Mike

The usual solution to your problem is to run the Corvette accessory drive. It relocates all of the accessories closer to the engine and up higher. Because of the cam driven waterpump, there are not many aftermarket pulley setups compared to the conventional waterpump. If you ever plan on AC or a PS conversion, you'll come out ahead in the long run to get the Corvette drive. Check out Street & Performance as they are the most likely to have an aftermarket setup. Another solution might be Mercruiser as the only accessory in most boats is an alternator. I have been thinking about this swap into my Z and have decided just to run the alternator and mount it down low on the drivers side. I'll run a single ribbed belt, but it will not be a true serpentine, but adjust the accessory to control tension on the belt.

Mike (TheBrit),

I went the cheap route. I pulled the vanes out of the PS pump, put some oil in it (for lubrication and cooling obviously) and plugged the inlet and outlet. Then I made and adjustable idler pulley (used a ford V6 unit, but in hindsight, I could have just used the Camaro one), to pull the belt away from the PS pump. I also got a belt one size smaller than stock, and it works well.

fcd6f8f0.jpg

fcd6f8e4.jpg

HTH,

Tim

I welcomed the above discussion because it is tough one to search. I am now looking for 5.7 LT1 from an F body (Camaro or Firebird) and had discarded the LT1 Corvette, maybe wrongly, because of the accessory mounting. I am going to use A/C, alternator, no power steering or air pump. I wish to avoid aftermarket due to cost, admittedly the Mena place is first class, Mike has done great job in the niche market. I toured it years ago and was impressed with him and his products. Cost is a major factor, if it does make it go better I don't buy it. After all that....my question is straightforward....F body or Corvette brackets? Will EITHER go in without going to aftermarket for parts? john

Hey Tim

That looks realy neat, I might have to do the same thing, but firt I will check out the cost of a corvette conversion.

Mike (there ate a lot of Mikes) I'm reading between the lines, but I guess the corvette set up retains the smog pump, AC and power steering, and that they are the same physical units as the camero ? Is it just the brackets and belt that change ?

Mike

I think the Corvette uses a different style PS pump and AC compressor but I am not positive. I have thought about it a long time. I have two complete LT1s but only one accessory drive. My Camaro will have PS and AC, which leaves the cop car motor for the Z and I think the alternator will be fine.

I'm in the process of doing the LT1/T56 6 spd conversion. I have research this issue a lot and here is what I found. Either direction whether it be the aftermarket such as March or Street And Performance you are going to spend a $$TON$$ of money and I have yet to see these brackets used on a 350 Z conversion project. Figure on spending about 1K and I don't know if this accessory layout would even fit the Z engine bay. Corvette method: This system would most likely fit the Z, but again I have not seen it done. I call several wreaking yards that part-out late model Vettes and many would not sell me just the accessories and brackets. Apparently, finding a late model blown Vette engine is about as difficult as finding a LSD. If you do find one you need EVERYTHING from the vette motor not just the bracket. The crank pulley, alternator, AC compressor and naturally the bracket that holds all this stuff are unique to this setup. I guess you can do what Tim did to the power steering pump (unique) with the Vette serpentine system and use it as an idler pulley. I tried to piece this altogether - a little from one place some from another and again money and availability became an issue. Try pricing a AC compressor for a vette! $400-$500 bucks right there. :rolleyes:

The LT1 is a great engine and since I already have it I have to make it work, but it does have its challenges. Who said this was going to be easy – right.

I have an idea to make the engine with the current accessories fit but I’m working on that. If it looks like things fit I will let you know.

Danno74Z

LT1/T56 conversion

http://www.marchperf.com/

http://www.tunedport.com/index_nodynamichtml.html

It was so easy in the end (I read all I could from a search on serpentine ;) ) and then modified to use what I had.

Remove and junk the AC and smog pump.

Gut the power steering and re mount it as a guide pulley.

Take your original Datsun alternator-tensioning bracket and use it to re position the stock LT1 tensioner. (Needs to have the kink flattened a little in a vice)

The bracket now mounts to the rightmost old LT1 tensioner hole, and allows the tensioner to be moved to where it can route the belt back from the alternator to the crank.

Viola! You have just the Alternator driven on a 95 LT1 that fits sweetly into a 71 240z and you did it without buying anything, which is good as you can spend a LOT achieving this conversion.

Mike

I can email a picture to thouse interested

Hey man that is great. Sounds like a super solution. Using what you allready have is always great. I was going to swap in a LT1, and did a lot of research on accessory drive options. For those of you talking about using the corvette bracket, here is a place I found a while back where you can get it:

http://www.artscorvetteparts.com/part_detail.aspx?item_guid=1153f427-80c2-412a-8adc-0f604e2b8936

Danny