HybridZ

Best Nissan 6 for a 240Z.....

CasperIV

I am trying to decide which 6 to put into a 71 240Z, but can't really decide. The choices are between a VQ35DE, RB25, VG30DETT, or an RB26DETT. The trick is getting one that I can install without a huge headache, and isn't only good for a single use. The car will need to be straight line fast, but also be able to driven around town, and also handle a good road course. Right now I am thinking about an RB25 since I can get a whole front clip easy enough and for around $2900 shipped.

What are your opinions on these engines?

Out of the motors you listed I would definately have to say the RB26 is going to be the best bet for ease of install, reliability, and power. If you are looking for more bang for the buck though and don't want to make 1000 hp, the rb25 is probably going to be the better choice. This is what I am going with...should have it in the car within the next 2 weeks....just waiting on a z31 rb20 pickup. I got a motor set for $1950 shipped to me. Going with a standalone, custom header, and intake manifold so I am selling everything off I don't need from it right now on ebay. Should have less than $1500 in it for what I needed which is the long block and transmission.

If you have the resources to build a custom header, the vg30dett would make a nice swap for sure. Mounting it shouldn't be too hard if you put a single turbo up front rather than the stock twins. Can be had for a very decent price nowadays and will make an assload of reliable power as well.

I was looking into this swap before I found the deal on the RB.

JT

For what you want i would have to say the RB25 as well. It is the cheapest and most documented of the swaps, But It still can make incredible power. I am just starting my VQ35DE swap and just to let you know, its probably the hardest because of the lack of documentation and the PRICE. But its all up to you and how much you have to spend. good luck on the swap!!!

Guest bastaad525

Why are you limiting yourself to only choosing from those engines? ALL of your requirements (especially the not-being-a-headache-to-install) can EASILY be met with the L28ET... with the right mods you can make LOTS of power on it, well over 300 RWHP easily, it drops right in easily with only wiring being a possible headache (but still less so than any of the engines you listed), is plenty reliable and very tractable. And you'll get all that for WAY less money invested than what any of those other motors will cost you to swap in, and most likely have your car done and on the road much sooner as well.

I just never thought about it. What is required to get an L28ET to make serious power? The car needs to be running 12's. Where would the best place to find some information on doing an L28 swap, and can it take the abuse of the high boost and most likley NOS?

I am thinking that the RB25 or L28 will be my best bets, but I need some more info on both, and the work behind the swaps. Any sites you guys might know of on these swaps would be a great help.

Right now I am thinking about an RB25 since I can get a whole front clip easy enough and for around $2900 shipped.

When a complete RB25DET costs less than a rebuilt L28, why would you go down the L28ET path?

Well, I know I can get a well rebuilt L28 (N42/N42 or F54/P90) with forged pistons for less then $2,900 here in the States. A very basic rebuild with new cast pistons is around $1,400.

Guest bastaad525
I just never thought about it. What is required to get an L28ET to make serious power? The car needs to be running 12's. Where would the best place to find some information on doing an L28 swap' date=' and can it take the abuse of the high boost and most likley NOS?

[/quote']

Hmmm... well stock block is supposed to be good up to 350ish hp. You can get there relatively easily. By easily I mean, you can basically leave the motor alone and just do bolt ons. Stock intenralled motor, T3/04 turbo, programmable EFI or at the least, ditch the stock 280zxt EFI and upgrade to the Z31 (first bodystyle 300zx) turbo EFI, big injectors, good exhaust with custom downpipe, good intercooler, and good tires to hold it all down :D and you'd easily be into the 12's, for way less than ANY RB swap is going to cost you, even if you do as JohnC suggests and get a fully rebuilt motor. Hell, there are guys here (not many, but a few) running high 12's with the STOCK turbo and STOCK 280zxt EFI, putting down close to 300hp at the wheels. All this at boost levels well under 20psi, I dont know how high you consider high boost, but very few guys ever seem to go past 20psi. I wouldn't use NOS on this setup, probably would be asking too much, UNLESS you just use the NOS at low RPM's to get the car onto boost and cut it at like 3000-4000rpm, once the turbo hits full force, then I think it'd be perfect. Otherwise, you just don't need it.

Lots of guys here get into low 13's on mostly stock stuff running junkyard motors (literally) with way high mileage, AND drive their cars every day.

Do a search for the users Jersey or Garret76Zt on these boards, they're a couple of the guys making insane power and running high 12's on the STOCK T3 turbo and mostly stock EFI.

Guest porschephile

L28et is the cheapest and will make 300+ hp for less than the rest while still be reliable as well. I'd forget about Nissan's v6's, as it's just too much work to really be worth it. The rb25 would probably be your best all around bet if you want something more modern that will need less work to create bigger numbers. I wouldn't even consider an rb26 unless you plan on making tons of power or have other reasons for using the rb26 specifically. Go with an rb25 and I guarantee you'll be happy.

Ok, say we go with an L28. What times can a 240z laying 300 hp from an L28 run? I know that an RB26 doesn't really make power unless your in the high end of the power band, but I have no idea of the torque or powerband of an L28. I should be able to get wide enough tires uner the thing to get traction, but I don't know if the L28 puts down enough torque, or if I can transfer enough power to the ground to run good times.

Guest bastaad525
Ok, say we go with an L28. What times can a 240z laying 300 hp from an L28 run? I know that an RB26 doesn't really make power unless your in the high end of the power band, but I have no idea of the torque or powerband of an L28. I should be able to get wide enough tires uner the thing to get traction, but I don't know if the L28 puts down enough torque, or if I can transfer enough power to the ground to run good times.

An average 240z with an L28ET, putting 300hp to the wheels and weighing roughly 2300-2400lbs, with good traction, gearing and a good launch and 60 foot time should be mid 12's easy. Again, guys like Garret76zt and Jersey, still running the stock T3 which is good for up to 300hp to the wheels if you reeeally push it, are running mid-high 12's, and on mostly stock EFI (bigger injectors, better fuel pump). L28ET's usually make their power relatively down low. A stock T3 will kick in at about 2500rpm, but extra lag from a large I/C and lots of piping usually ups that to about 3000rpm. Torque will usually peak right when the turbo kicks in, and the torque number will be substantially higher than the HP number. For instance, Sleeper Z, another member on this forum, is putting down about 300hp to the wheels, but about 400ft lbs of torque. That's kinda one end of the extreme... but the point is, they are very torquey motors, that aren't really meant to wind very high (but can be made to if that's what you want). Not sure about with the T3/04, but with stock T3 there's just not much point shifting any higher than about 5500rpm. T3/04 will lag more, but carry the power band higher, and is good for much more than 300hp. Dude you really should head over to the Turbo/supercharger section of this forum, read the sticky, and do some searches... TONS of info on there that will probably answer just about any question you have and get you well on your way.

Where is the best place to look for bolt ons and mods for an L28? Also, another 240z I'm looking at is almost stock, and I need to find good wide fenders for it (not those sad little flares I see people with all the time). I want the whole rear quarter panels. Any ideas?