HybridZ

Conversion opinions - non-Z

Tim240z

Guest bastaad525

I'd go with the KA 240sx engine, a later one with the twin cams. 155hp stock and obviously you can do the usual things as you're swapping it like intake and exhaust and probably get output up to close to 200hp or maybe even more. Very reliable engines, that are more grunters than screamers, dont need to or really want to wind them super high. 240sx's are super common, and since so many people are swapping out the KA"s to swap in SR20DET's, I bet you can have one in great shape for dirt cheap. Hell you can find whole 240sx's for pretty cheap if you're looking for a donor-car level car. Though prices are going up for whole cars due to the increasing popularity of drifting. They're super reliable, and also so common that parts availabilty for it should be second to none.

I've heard lots of things that make the Ford 2.3 turbo not so desirable. From them not being so reliable, to the fact that they were very buzzy when revved hard, and had no grunt down low. Anyways... you gotta figure, if there's so many in the junkyard there's probably a good reason for that. I know a lot of guys were recommending the 4g63 and I'd agree but you don't sound like you want monster high end power out of this thing, and anyways, what would it take to convert a 4g63 to a rear drive setup? Sounds like a hassle to me.

I had an early 70's Celica with an R22 transplanted into it and man that thing sure felt fast but that was back when I didn't really know what fast was....

Guest bastaad525

4AG is real wheel drive in the Corolla GTS, the commonly known AE86 chassis that drifters are so in love with these days. I know that motor also was used in some MR2's and front driver Corollas like the FX16.

Toyota 4AG 1.6L engine. Lots around, fairly cheap to buy and 160hp is fairly easy to come by. They are also very light and can zing to whatever rpm you want.

Yep, that would be my choice--haven't you seen Initial D yet? Seriously, I think even though it is NA, it would make one heck of a motor in an Opel, sheesh, it gives me goosebumps just thinking about it :D

Davy

There are lots of great mazda engines, if you are looking turbo, the F2-T out of a 1st gen mx-6/preobe can be mated to a few rwd trannies. I know people making 300plus hp with them fairly easily. The B6 ZE jspec miata engine is another good choice. Also you should check out the mazda kl series engines, they are v6 but they range in displ from 1.8 to 2.5 litres and they are so small they are very popular for sqeezing into cars that originally had 4cyl. My 200 hp klze cost me 1050 shipped to my door from japan. It revs past 7k and is perfect for a light car. You can get 240 hp easily avoiding all the hassle of a turbo. Someone out there has developed rwd applications for them. My friends klze powered 323 runs low 13's with a completely stock klze. I love mazda engines because people don't usually think of them for performance applications and you can get them dirt cheap!!

Guest bastaad525

Initial D is a cool japanese cartoon... I have only seen bits and pieces, but I think most everyone here would love this cartoon, it's all about fixed up japanese cars racing and drifting up and down mountain roads and such. There's a story too but I've never seen enough to figure out what it is :D the driving action is cool though.

It's also spawned one hell of a cool arcade video game with great graphics and very realistic feeling controls (sit down, steering wheel and pedals type of arcade machine).

To me, in my limited knowlege, the 2.3 Ford is still the best.

Super aftermarket support due highly to the mini stock racers and dune buggy croud

Lots of junkyard parts AND upgrades available

Bullit proof, this little engine is a bit bulky but it sure is put together well. It's a truck motor.

My neighbors got one sitting in his drive....but as I said before...no brass...

300 hp easily atainable in almost stock trim and an intercooler, built from scratch with all these parts avail, 500hp and pretty reliable as far as what I have read.

Im sure you've see this stuff before but check these links....

http://www.modernperformanceinc.com/merkurproducts.htmlparts/machine work

http://www.racerwalsh.com/more parts

http://www.key-ideas.com/DavidGodfreyPage.htm this guy shares info, seemed pretty cool.

http://www.motion-dynamics.net/products.aspmore parts

And there is a CNC aluminum head available for like 1500-2500 depending on what you get. Can't remember the company but they are out of CA and do alot of buggy stuff. I will look around at home for their catalog, and I have some more links if you want...

Yeah, I'm really leaning hard towards the Ford turbo engine.....

My machinist builds the naturally aspirated engines for a race team in Michigan, and his head porting work is amazing......

Even at a tame 200hp, that little Opel will certainly give Da 'Goose a good run!! :twisted::D:shock:

Tim

Isn't Opel in the GM family? How about a peppy GM 4 like the Olds OHC Quad-4 , or the Saturn Ecotec? with turbo.....

http://www.turbo-kits.com/ion_turbo_kits.html

I have been seeing bellhousing kits to turn these engines around rightways lately. There is an overgrown Lotus-7 type kit car that uses the Saturn engine.

Guest Chris240turbo

the 2.3 gets my vote, you could prolly find a half dozen within a short drive of your house, I wonder how many are missing the 370cc injectors, taken for upgrades on other stuff :D

Yep, 2.3, t-5, rear end, some big flairs and wheels/tires, sounds fun to me, the svo Mustang was supposed to be quicker than the ZXT back in the day, I imagine an opel GT set up with a pretty mild turbo 2.3 would be an eye opener! :twisted:

hows about some pics of your new project?

I test drove an SVO a few weeks ago, was thinking about buying it. Lots of fun to drive, felt like a healthy V8 under the hood. It had a pretty noticable vibration at idle but once reved up was smooth. I didn't buy it though, needed more TLC than I have time or money to give it. I think the turbo 2.3 would be a good match for the Opel.

Wheelman

I drove an SVO Mustang in '93 and it scared the crap out of me (I was 17 at the time). I really like the engine. I have heard it both ways on their reliability. I know in the Pinto crowd, a popular upgrade on the N/A 2.3 is the later Ford Ranger cam and roller rockers. Check FORDPINTOSTREETMACHINES for more information.

If it were me, building a daily driver, I would have to go with the 4 cylinder from a Nissan or Toyota Pickup. My '98 Nissan is 143 HP @5200 and 154 lb-ft @ 4000. It is adequate for the truck (which weighs around 4000lb I think), but would be great for something smaller. The Toyota's specs are similar. They come in a RWD configuration, most already hooked up to a 5 speed tranny.

EDIT: I was wrong about the weight, the trucks gross weight is 5190 and Curb weight is 3685 according to Edmunds.com.