HybridZ

need help with carb choice

HICKL

I just put a set of sportsman II small chamber heads on my motor (sbc, flat top pistons, medium cam, performer intake, block hugger headers etc. and My Holley 600 just ain't feedin the need anymore. I'm figuring a 750 would probably do the trick but request guidance. What carb would you guys recommend for me and does anybody have one for sale????

I like the simple Holley 3310 750 vacumm secodary. Cheap, durable, and easy to tune. But don't get the silver version or the street aveger series. An old fashion 3310 can be had for 260.00 from summit.

A double pumper Holley works nice on an automatic transmission cars with a 3000+ rpm converter.

But, whatever you do, DO NOT buy one of those crapy edelbrock/carter carbs. Those are vapor locking, throttle sticking, peices of shit.

The Q-jet carb works great but is ugly.

If you're having problems with a 600 CFM then a 650 might help but leave little margin for improvement.

I agree with the prior opinion, go with the Holley 750 CFM 3310 vacuum secondary carb. They are very good carbs, simple to tune with lots of parts availability and resonably priced.

As stated prior I would also avoid the Edelbrock/Carter carbs. I used a 625 CFM (I think, to many years ago to remember clearly) on a Ford 302. At first I was happy with it, but over time it fell apart.

Wheelman

http://www.hotrodgossip.com

http://www.htownracing.com

http://www.houston-f-body.org

just to name a few... definately stay away from edelbrock/carter...

650 SHOULD be good, but there's so many 750's out here in texas that go for cheap. post on the gossip and you'll definately get a reply, just don't tell em you got an import :roll: or you'll start hearing it. If you dont want a double-pumper, maybe you should consider an edelbrick. BUT double-pumpers aren't hard to tune at all.

When considering carb size keep in mind that advertised flow (ie. 750) will not actually wet flow that much and that this figure is at Standard temp and pressure, ie. perfect conditions. I have seen on a flow bench 750's that will flow 650 to 700 depending on the make of carb, carb type, choke horn or no choke horn, type of booster, and varies by carb venturi casting to casting. If a 600 is too small, and it is. You won't see much improvement going to a 650. A 700 or 750 should fill the bill.

Holley's are by far the most widely, used performance carb. Others like Edelbrock, carter are mostly emissions carbs and will not offer the same out of the box performance that a holley DP carb will. Holley also makes more street carbs as well but unless your trying to get mpg's and are a carb wizard, I'd go with the holley for simplicity reasons.

Aftermarket builders such as DaVinci, C&S, Braswell and others offer some fine carbs that you can't beat with any other carb. I have run them all and now run two C&S aerosol Billets, one is an 800 going on my new 350 comp roller motor for my boys 260z and the other is a 900 which runs on my Monte SS with a 406, which weighs in at 3800 certified scaled pounds, runs 11.70's @115 at 6000 feet elevation. I have a box stock new 750DP and on race gas the same car ran 12.79 and with the C&S on alky it went 11.73 the same day. Alky doesn't add that much power but it shows that the carb both in size and quality picked up probably another .5 seconds. The throttle response is unbelievable with the C&S, try one, they have a 30 day money back guarantee which is not offered anywhere in this fine land. Check them out at http://www.candsspecialties.com.

And be carefull buying used carbs, unless you know what your looking for, like tight throttle shafts, no warped or cracked baseplates or housings, body, etc.